Are Some People More Sensative for Sillicone Facial Implants to Shift? Which Ways to Fixate a Implant Are There?

I had 3 nose jobs that went wrong the sillicone implant shifted in my nose, at the 4th time they putted a other implant in and this one is good now. Now 3/4 months ago i had a custom jaw/chin implant, this means made by a ct scan to fit perfectly on my jaw and chin (so only putting the implant in without shaving it) Also this implant shifted (noticed week after surgery) Please dont say swelling because dont have much anymore. Am i just unlucky or can somebody be sensative for shifting ?

+1

No, I have used silastic Cheek and Chin Implants for Cheek and Chin Augmentation for over 25 years.  The implants are placed below the covering of the bone which will secure the implant within 1 month.  Fixation, of the implants, are not required however I do require all Implant patients to sleep on an airline pillow for 1 month after the surgery.  

Shifting Potential of Silicone Facial Implants

+1

Silicone implants by the nature of the material are smooth and prone to shifting early after surgery. To eliminate that risk on any facial bone site, the placement of screw(s) to secure the implant position can be done. The nose is unique because there is no good way without creating a scar to place screw fixation to the upper nasal bones. Thus one has to rely on the scar of the created pocket to do so...which takes time to form and gives the implant plenty of time to shift early after surgery if the pocket is not very tightly created. It is not you that is the problem, it is the nature of the implant material.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Are Some People More Sensitive to Sillicone Facial Implants to Shift? Which Ways to Fixate an Implant Are There?

+1

I have not found any anatomic factor that would make a person more susceptible to shifting or malposition of an implant. This is, thankfully, an uncommon problem in the population at large. Implants can be fixated either with permanent suture or small titanium screws (depending upon the implant material). I don't usually fixate implants as I think the fixation device creates one more potential issue. If your jaw implant must be revised you should discuss fixation techniques with your surgeon. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon