Many People Are Claiming IPL Causes Damage to Skin. What's the Real Truth?

I stumbled accross a support website for those who claim their skin has been damaged by the IPL procedure. Some say it has aged their skin considerably, left tiny indentations, or even lines where there weren't any previously. Many claim fat loss and sagging skin occurs 6 months to a year post-procedure. This is extremely worrisome considering I have already had 2 IPLs and am beginning to think this wasn't such a good idea. Can a doctor with some knowledge step up and address this?

IPL and Skin Damage Correction with Fat Grafting

+3
I have seen multiple patients in my office with damage to their skin after IPL and Radio frequency treatments. I have been able to correct many of the skin irregularities with fat grafting. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

IPL Safety

+2

Intense Pulse Light (IPL) is a very safe technology as long as it is used by a trained Doctor and is used responsibly. In patients with lighter skin tones, IPL is incredibly safe.  The one exception is a patient who has a fresh sunburn.  IPL treatment must be much more conservative in patients with darker skin types due to the risk of burn and/or hyperpigmentation.  IPL includes a range of wavelengths, typically addressing the colors red and brown; the more intense the pigmentation, the more dramatic the response.  I have never seen nor heard about a patient with fat loss and/or sagging skin as a response to IPL.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon