Why Are So Many People Getting a Bump on Dorsal After Rhinoplasty?

Is it perhaps because the splint is removed too early that people get a bump on the dorsal bone after rhinoplasty? Would the splint recovery need to be more of a cast to help avoid these growth? Would it need to be on longer on broken bones? I'm just wondering why so many rhinoplasty patience are seeing bumps on dorsal after rhynoplasty, and why Dr.'s seem not to have an asnwer to this problem, if in fact so many people experience it and so many doctor reply to this quesiton.

Usual Causes Of Bumps After Rhinoplasties

+2

Hi,

Usually there are 4 main reasons behind the formation of a nasal bump after rhinoplasty at different times during the recovery process:

1. The already existing nasal bump was not reduced enough

2. After osteotomies, formation of a callus is possible but not very common.

3. Scar tissue formation

4. Nasal grafts/implants may be misplaced or positioned in a wrong manner.

Also, one should not neglect the poor post-op precautions that often lead to nasal trauma hence causing the formation or the accentuation of nasal irregularities.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Dorsal bumps following rhinoplasty.

+2

Excess tissue on the nasal bridge following rhinoplasty can have one of 3 causes:

1.     Inadequate bone and cartilage removal when reducing a pre-existing dorsal hump.

2.     Malpositioned bone or cartilage fragments following remodeling of the bone-cartilage elements over the nasal bridge.

3.     Progressive scar tissue formation.  Usually soft tissue but can occasionally be of bone origin.

Overall, the problem likely does not occur to a clinically significant degree in more than 10 to 15 % of cases as evidenced by the fact that that is the revision rate following primary rhinoplasty.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

If a dorsal bump appears after a Rhinoplasty either the hump was not removed sufficiently or callous has formed around the nasal bones which maybe temporary.  Rasping down the bones, IMO, is more likely to cause increased callous formation than bone removal with an osteotome.  Like many things, experience is important in Rhinoplasty.

Bump after rhino not uncommon, but usually not permanent

+2

I must admit that I see this in an occassional patient but not immediately after splint removal, usually about 3-4 weeks later.  The good news is that almost all resolve within 8-12 weeks.  I feel it is partly related to the bone healing and callous formation at the osteotomy (break) sites.  If it stays it is a very simple correction at 6 months with some minimal rasping under local anesthesia.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Bump on Dorsum after Rhinoplasty

+1

A bump on the dorsum after a rhinoplasty is caused by not removing enough bone or cartilage during the operation or it is temporary swelling tha will resolve with time. It is not related to when the cast is removed.While this can occur, I respectfully disagree that this is a frequent problem.

+1

Hi CR,

Every case is different with their own unique circumstance. Typically the reason for a hump to remain, is not enough hump removal during the initial surgery or regrowth of bone at the site of rasping.

DrS.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Dorsal bumps after rhinoplasty

+1

Persistence of a dorsal hump after rhinopasty has two causes: inadequate resection and uncontrolled swelling which leads to scar deposition.

Proper removal of dorsal tissues followed by splinting for 7-10 days should result in a normal nasal contour.  When choosing a surgeron make sure to see a complete portfolio of before and after pictures.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Rhinoplasty is a tricky operation.

+1

Hi.

I ask myself the same question.  There seem to be a lot of dissatisfied rhinoplasty patients.  It is very important to find the right surgeon and to see a lot of before and after pictures.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)