Are my rhinoplasty expectations realistic, and would my ideal nose suit me?

My ideal nose is completely different from what I've got. I have a hump on my bridge, skinny at the top, widens a little bit, gets skinny again and has a bulbous tip & hanging columella when I smile. The pictures I've included that were taken only for views of my nose aren't flattering, so I've included a couple of how I "typically" look and for help with my face shape. There are also photos of ideal noses. Is my ideal nose realistic? Also, would my ideal nose suit my face shape? Thank you! -Jess

rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and hanging columella

+1
The rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish  reducing the bulbous tip by narrowing the tip cartilages with suture techniques to  the lower lateral cartilages of the tip. A dorsal hump can be shaved down and osteotomies will be required to narrow the nasal bones. Also important to release the depressor septi ligament which pulls the tip down when smiling.

Rhinoplasty results

+1
Based on your photos, you have a thicker skin type that does limit you somewhat.  That being said, the problems you would like addressed are reasonable and I would expect you to have a nice outcome.  You should still "look like you" after surgery but with better proportion to your nose. The surgery won't turn you into the models.  As long as you have good expectations and an experienced plastic surgeon, you should see a great improvement.  Best of luck to you!

Steven Heaney, MD
Erie Plastic Surgeon

Realistic Rhinoplasty Expectations

+1
Your thicker skin will have an impact on your results but you can achieve significant improvement if the surgfery is performed by an experienced rhinoplasty specialist.

Nasal surgery

+1

There is no "ideal nose." Noses come in all shapes and sizes, and vary with different ethnicities. Attractive noses are those that have a pleasing proportion. As a rhinoplasty surgeon we evaluate the nose and take those parts of the nose that are out of proportion and move them into better proportion. If you look at the before and after photos on the RealSelf.com site you will find many nice examples. You've explained well the parts of your nose that are out of proportion.

Looking at your photos, I would expect you to have a pleasing result if you chose a board certified plastic who has a special expertise in rhinoplasty. Not all board certified plastic surgeons do rhinoplasties. Find an experienced surgeon who does "hundreds" of these and ask to see a sampling of before/after pictures  

William McClure, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1
I believe you are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty procedure, the expectations you have from attached photos may be a little bit more than what can be accomplished but you will still have great results.

Find a plastic surgeon in your area that specializes in rhinoplasty procedures.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

+1
All of those aspects of your nose can be improved, but the skin envelope will limit the result to some extent. 

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.