Breast Implants/Augmentation Allergies?

I am allergic to everything! Sutures Penicillin, many Foods! What are the odds I will be allergic to Breast implants? I would love to have a Breast Augmentation but I am really worried I will be allergic? Is there a way to find this out before having sugery?

Silicone Allergy?

+1

An allergy test for silicone can be performed, but this reaction would be considered extraordinarily rare.  Kenneth Hughes, MD breast implants Los Angeles, CA

There has never been a demonstration of antibodies to silicone (the biologic basis for allergy)

+1

There is no allergic reaction to silicone (breast implant material).  The formation of a capsule is a normal generalized reaction to a foreign body and not an allergic reaction.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Allergies to silicone implants,, option to implants for breast augmentation

+1

the other answers are helpful.

silicone is everywhere ,, if you test positive we dont know what it really means

you can try the surgery and always remove the implants should you develope any symptoms

you can also try natural augmentation with your own fat if you have enough

Allergy to breast implants

+1

I personally have never heard of an allergy to breast implants.  You could have allergy testing for silicone to give you peace of mind.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Breast implants and allergies

+1

Allergic reaction to silicone is extremely rare. You can be tested to see if you are allergic to silicone. I have never seen one in my practice spanning over 20 years. I would be more worried about your other allergies such as antibiotics, pain medications, Latex and anesthesia meds. You should give a full list to your PS to make sure those meds can be avoided during and after surgery. With these precautions you will be fine.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants/Augmentation Allergies?

+1

There are silicone allergies, and they are quite rare. It took me just a couple of minutes to find a few well documented cases of allergic reaction to implanted silicone in shunts and ear implants. There are tests that your allergist can do, looking for antibodies to silicone. 

If the test is negative you are probably not allergic. If positive, it is hard to interpret for me at least, as all of us have had contact with silicone--it is everywhere. Having these antibodies means you have been exposed, but your allergist will have to help interpret the meaning of the results. 

Thanks, best wishes.