Considering Fraxel: Will taking a vitamin A supplement carry the same risk as with Accutane?

I have been taking Skin Accumax vitamin supplements. Ingredients are 1333 IU Vitamin A as Retinyl Palmitate, plus Vitamin C, Vitamin E. I am considering Fraxel and wanted to know if taking a vitamin A supplement carries the same risk as Accutane. I contacted the company who makes the supplement and they have said it is fine to have procedure done, since this is a supplement and not delivered the same as a drug. Only contraindications are pregnancy and breast feeding.

Vitamin A and Fraxel

+1
Fraxel is a great procedure but the company advises you to stop Accutane one year before the laser.  If you are taking mega-doses of Vitamin A I would advise you to stop that as well before the procedure.  A normal multivitamin or the daily recommended dosage of Vitamin A is not a problem with Fraxel.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Fraxel.

Vitamin A and Fraxel

+1
No. Accutane is a vitamin A derivative that requires close management by your physician. Over the counter vitamin A supplements taken according to recommended dosages will not interfere with or complicate the Fraxel procedure. If you are taking supplements in dosages higher than recommended, it would be wise to consult your physician.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Vitamin A supplement sae with fraxel and other laser procedures

+1
Your Vitamin A supplement does not act like Accutane and you can continue your supplement even while having laser treatments including fraxel.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Vitamin A, Accutane, and Fraxel

+1
Vitamin A is not considered a dangerous supplement before Fraxel. Accutane is. I would wait at least 6 months after completion of Accutane before Fraxel.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel

+1
No need to worry-no vitamin A supplement will carry the same concerns as accutane as far as wound healing after laser procedures is concerned.  Good Luck.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon