What type of correction surgery will I need to re-attach my chin? (photo)

I had a car accident several years ago, in which i broke my lower jaw in 5 parts. I had a metal and it was removed a couple years ago. Due to this surgery my mouth do not close as it used to. My chin seem hanging from the chin bone. Now the lower gum of my teeth are showing and my lower lips doesn't look normal. I had a plastic surgeon try to corrected but never got re-attached as he claimed it will eventually fall in place.

What type of correction surgery will I need to re-attach my chin?

+2
The only point I would add to Dr. Wittenberg's answer is that the laceration or surgical approach also appears to have injured the nerve to the muscle that depress the left side of your lip (right side of your photo). This results in that side of your lip riding higher when you smile. This likely cannot be repaired but if the asymmetry bothers you very conservative Botox can be used in your right lip depressor muscles to improve symmetry. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drooping lip

+1
The loss of the muscle attachment will give the appearance you have now. I'd there remains some muscle near the teeth side of the area, it can be repositioned. If not, one needs to try to attach the muscle with direct bone contact. 

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon