Does Having a Pelvic Kidney Preclude Me from Having a Tummy Tuck?

I have a pelvic kidney that relates to my unicornuate uterus. I do not know if it is a functioning or non-functioning kidney. Does this preclude me from having a tummy tuck? I am 53 years old.

Tummy Tuck - Does Having a Pelvic Kidney Preclude Me from Having a Tummy Tuck?

+1

No - but, as with any other medical condition, you'll need appropriate clearance from your internist or, in this case, your nephrologist, before proceeding with the plastic surgery.

For an otherwise asymptomatic pelvic kidney, I don't think there would be a contraindication for the surgery.  However, in the event that there are any anomalies or problems with that kidney, it is only common sense to have that addressed before undergoing elective, cosmetic surgery.

So - speak with your internist and your plastic surgeon to make sure everyone's on the same page and, assuming they are, you will most likely be able to proceed with your planned surgery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Pelvic kidney should not impact your tummy tuck if you are otherwise healthy.

+1

If you are healhty a pelvic kidney will not have any impact on your tummy tuck or vice versa.  The steps involved in a tummy tuck procedure take place outside of your abdminal and pelvic cavity between your skin and your abdominal wall muscles.  Muscle tightening involves plicating the investing connective tissue of your abdominal muscles and therefore also do not involve the inside of the abdomen or pelvis.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Pelvic kidney

+1

Your pelvic kidney should not be any issue related to your tummy tuck. If you have not had any issues in the past with your kidney function, and if your kidney function is normal now (check your lab tests BUN and Creatinine), than go for it. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Tummy tuck and pelvic kidney

+1

In and of itself, the pelvic kidney is no contraindication to tummy tuck.  During the procedure however, a catheter is placed into the bladder.  The tip of this catheter will be close to your pelvic kidney, and your uretero-vesical junction from that kidney may not be completely normal.  You may be at slightly increased risk of urinary tract infection simply related to the catheter.  An excellent prep of your perineum prior to catheter insertion is important, and perhaps peri-operative gram negative coverage for the urinary tract.  Ask your doctors about this. 

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy tuck and pelvic kidney

+1

Pelvic kidney is an anomally and should not preclude you from having tummy tuck. In many occasions it is an incidental finding. The thing you need to focus on is to get a preoperative clearence from you PCP. I would be more  concerned if you have a single kidney or history of impaired renal function. Optemizing renalfunction during and after surgery is also important by adequit hydration. Other tips for your surgery:Finally, the patient will have to prepare in some fashion, regardless of the cosmetic treatment chosen. Patients should maintain a healthy diet and exercise plan prior to surgery and refrain from taking aspirin and other blood-thinning medications. They should avoid smoking as well, as it inhibits healthy circulation. Patients must find someone who can transport them to and from surgery, since most of our procedures require the use of general anesthesia. Patients should also take measures to prepare their homes for the healing process by stocking up on gauze bandages, towels, and other products. Following these preparation tips, as well as others given by Dr. Jaibaji, can help to ensure a successful surgery with little downtime.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

A pelvic kidney will have no impact on the ability to have a tummy tuck

+1

A pelvic kidney will have no impact on the ability to have a tummy tuck if needed. The tummy tuck procedure involves the abdominal wall and has nothing to do with intra-abdominal contents. Therefore, as long as you are healthy enough for surgery and anesthesia and could benefit from a tummy tuck - then you have the option to undergo the procedure.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Pelvic kidney and a tummy tuck

+1

Since a tummy tuck will not be going inside of your abdominal cavity and because even if the rectus muscle is repaired, it would not place any new pressure on a pelvic kidney, I see no reason why you could not have a tummy tuck. Of course you need a medical clearance prior to the surgery to make sure all is well and you are healthy for the anesthetic.

Julio Garcia, MD

Pelvic Kidney Doesn't Preclude Tummy Tuck

+1

The fact that you have a pelvic kidney should not interfere with your candidacy for a tummy tuck.  This assumes, of course, that you have normal renal function.  As mentioned by others, there is no entry into the peritoneal cavity nor pelvis in the course of a normal tummy tuck.

John Whitt, MD

A Pelvic Kidney is NOT a Contraindication to Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

The fact that you have a congenital anomaly where one of the kidneys is located in the pelvis rather than on the back wall of the abdomen is NOT a contraindication to Tummy Tuck surgery.

Tummy Tuck and Pelvic Kidney

+1
  1. You can have a tummy tuck even if you have a pelvic kidney.
  2. The tummy tuck operation only involves tissues outside the peritoneal cavity where your pelvic kidney is located.
  3. You should have a medical clearance from your internist, nephrologist, or primary care physician to make sure that your pelvic kidney is functioning normally.

Lu-Jean Feng, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon