Peg Laterals? Will My Ortho Do Anything About it When I Get My Braces Off?

I have peg laterals(with space between them and my Central Incisors) , and I'm getting my braces off soon. Will my orthodontists do anything about them, or would I have to bond them? If so how much would it cost to bond both of my peg laterals?

It's important to have peg laterals bonded or restored

+2

The space around peg laterals that is created is for a couple of important reasons.  First, the position of the upper teeth is dictated by the position and alignment of the lower teeth.  Since the uppers fit on the outside of the lowers, it would be impossible to close all the spaces while maintining a healthy overbite.  Secondly, is cosmetically the laterals are proportionally too small compared to the other teeth, and it sticks out like a sore thumb, especially if it is only on one side.  So when you are done they need to be restored to a natural size and shape. This can be done with bonding, veneers, or crowns.  Bonding can be considered temporary, so is especially useful on teenagers since the adult gumline is not yet established.  But a good dentist can make a bonded restoration look very life-like and long lasting, so it can be acceptable, even on an adult.  Veneers and crowns are made of porcelain.  Although they are more expensive, they mimic the appearnace of enamel even better and are even longer lasting.  In most cases, the dentist will do restorations rather than the orthodontist - as that is what they do every day.  One word of caution.  Unless you are getting bonding done the same day the braces are removed (gums must be perfectly healthy - not swollen), it is important that the spaces are maintained until it is done.  In my practice, that means making a removable retainer with little spikes to hold the spaces AND bonding a wire on the back side between the central incisors so they don[t split apart.  It can happen quickly and then you are sunk!

Atlanta Orthodontist