Do Too Many Peels Thin the Skin and Cause Pre-mature Wrinkles?

How many can be performed per year? I am 27 and like the results but are afraid of the long term damage?

You can overdo it!

+1

Like anything, you can definitely overdo peels. They are meant to smooth and lessen lines and wrinkles, and help with tone and texture. But they should be used as directed and under the care of a physician. The number that can be done per year largely depends on your skin type, and the type/depth of the peel.

Peels and wrinkles

+1

I do not think that peels thin the skin in the long run. Deep enough peels should theoretically help build collagen , not the opposite. Make sure that whoiever does your peels has a lot of experience with this.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

It is certainly possible to over do these things.

+1

A critical issue is what strength of peel is being performed.  Very light mini-peels or glycolic peels are unlikely to accomplish much but are generally are much safer that repeating deeper peels.  Rather that having many light peels, it is often better to be properly assessed for a single deeper peel.  Fillers can make the skin redrape eliminating or minimizing the appearance of fine and not so fine lines and provide an excellent alternative.