Pectus Excavatum with Implants, Will It Make It Less Noticeable? (photo)

will implants make it less noticeable? and what kind of implants and size would be good, plus under or over muscle? and will they look normal not go cross eye that says. i want implants sooo bad but i am worry about having problems with this. my doc says i should be fine without getinng the pectus excavatume corrected first. what you think?

Breast Augmentation May Improve The Appearance Of Some Pectus Deformities

+2

For most breast augmentation patients, a pectus excavatum deformity will usually look better not worse after the implants are placed. While the depth of the sternum will be actually deeper, the creation of larger mounds around it causes it to be somewhat less noticeable.  Therefore, you do not need to worry about your sternal shape for breast augmentation. Your focus should be on the need for some type of breast lift if you get implants. That is your far more important issue with breast augmentation surgery.

Pectus Excavatum (caved in chest) and Implants

+2

First, you do not need to correct the pectus deformity. Secondly, the ribs are the platform on which the implants sit and if the ribs slant in towards each other, so will the implants, although the surgeon will adjust for this as much as is possible with your anatomy. But your nipple position is already "cross-eyed" and will not change much, unless t he surgeon moves them a little to the side during the lift. The pectus will look more like a nice deep cleavage after the implants are in place.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Pectus Excavatum and Breast Augmentation

+2

In general, breast augmentation tends to diminish the appearance of the pectus deformity although it can the can  make the chest depression look deeper. As previously mentioned, your chest is often slanted inward in this situation and one needs to be very cautious with implant positioning. I don't think it is necessary for you to correct the pectus deformity but it does appear as if you might need a breast lift.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Pectus defromity and breast implants

+2

There are many with a pectus excavatum who will benefit from breast implants alone, depending on the depth and symmetry of the chest defect. Also, correction of the pectus may make the costs prohibative. You may do well with a submuscular augment and a lift to bring the nipple up and equalize the skin envelope.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Perctus excavatum and implants

+1

Breast implants wil have no effect on the pectus excavatum.    Treating the pectus excavatum is very complicated and is usually performed by a  thoracic surgeon.

Pectus Excavatum- Breast Implants

+1

The use of breast implants will not affect the pectus whatsoever. However, because you are adding volume to the surrounding area by placing the implants it will seem less obvious. In additon, your self esteem will be elevated and the visual focus will be on the breast mounds and less on the chest wall defect.

Based on your photographs, I would caution you not to have a simple breast augmentation. Your nipple-areolar complex is way too low and your breasts need to be lifted. The combination of lifting the breasts, reducing the large areolae and simultaneous use of breast implants will give you a more round, firmer and more appealing breast.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Pectus excavatum

+1

This is actually a very good question. Judging by your photographs, addition of breast implants I have no effect whatsoever on your pectus deformity. As simplistic as it might seem, the implants were one definite effect: he will have larger breasts. The positioning of the mound will be asymmetric, and difficult to predict the overall outcome. I wish you luck, just choose an experienced surgeon.

John E. Sherman, MD

You will need breast lift

+1

You will need to have lift to remove excess skin,lift the nipple and make the areola smaller. You can get the implant at the same time or later. I prefer doing the lift first and augmentation later to improve the result and lower the risk of complications.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Pectus Excavatum and Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

In your situation  breast augmentation ( and possibly a limited mastopexy) may be helpful.  In my experience, breast implants tend to help “camouflage” the concavity,  making the cleavage area look deeper. Often times postoperatively is hard to know that the patient  initially presented with pectus excavatum.

Often, patients with pectus excavatum have medially sloped chest walls ( sloped towards the cleavage area);  care must be taken during the breast implant pocket dissection to avoid the implants coming together too close in the sternal area.

Also, patients with pectus excavatum may have their nipple/areola complexes relatively medially positioned on their breasts;  without intervention this inward  leaning appearance of the nipple/areola does not improve with breast augmentation surgery.

I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons;  asked to see lots of examples of his/her work.