I Saw A. Doctor About a Tummy Tuck He Recommended a Body Lift?

I saw a dr about a tummy tuck he recommended a body lift. What kind of pain is involved and should I be at my lowest body weight prior to the surgery? I am current 170 and 5'3 two kids have wrecked shop on this body.

Get another opinion if a plastic surgeon makes unsolicited suggestions.

+2

If you visit a plastic surgeon who points out things he would like to change that you have not asked about, I would leave the office.

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

Hi there. Most plastic surgeons recommend that you be at or near your goal weight before body contouring surgery because continued weight loss can negatively affect the results of the procedure. You also lower your overall risk profile when you're at a healthy BMI. A body lift is a more extensive option than a tummy tuck because it removes excess skin and some fat all around the lower body, rather than just the abdomen. It may produce a little more discomfort and add more time onto your recovery period, but if it gets a better result, it may be worth it. I recommend you look through some before-and-after photos of both options to find cases that are similar to your own. Also, seek a second opinion before you opt for the more extensive procedure. Good luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck or Body Lift

+1

You should be at your "ideal" weight prior to any surgery, so if you are planning to lose weight, you should do so now. Your BMI is 30; a BMI 30 or higher will increase your chances for complications. Losing weight will lower your BMI. Also, if you lose weight, you will have more excess skin to remove, and this will optimize your result whether you opt for either procedure. A body lift is certainly more involved and extensive than a tummy tuck and will certainly be more painful with a longer recovery. Photos would help me determine which procedure would be more beneficial for you. But a good general rule is if only your abdomen bothers you, then there is no need for a complete body lift.

Louis C. Cutolo, Jr., MD, FACS

Tummy tuck vs. bodylift

+1

If your excess skin goes beyond the confines of the tummy, then a more extended tummytuck or bodylift may be needed for an optimal result.  I don't find that patients feel much different after either of these two procedures. Ask your surgeon if using Exparel for extended pain relief after your procedure is an option.  

Janet Woodyard, MD

I Saw A Doctor About a Tummy Tuck He Recommended a Body Lift?

+1

This may be reasonable, but pictures or an exam would be necessary to make any real recommendations.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Do I need a lower body lift?

+1

It is hard to answer without photos, but he is most likely correct.  I see some patients who opt for just the tummy tuck, but it doesn't address the hip adequately.  Many of these patients decide to undergo the posterior body lift to get the best result.  Losing some weight would likely make the lower body lift less necessary. 

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck vs Body Lift

+1

It is probably a good idea to get more than one consultation. It is not possible to comment on your particular situation without good, medical quality photos, and that means taken by another person, not in a mirror. Best to get your BMI lower to get the best results.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Body Lift

+1

In general I like body lift patients to be about 15 pounds out from their goal weight.  A body lift takes about 2-3 hours longer and is a bit more a difficult recovery.   There are options to address skin with different types of front tummy tucks such as a fleur di lis.  I would reccomend going on a few consults to see what other doctors reccommend.  The front and the back operations could be staged to make recovery easier.  Hope that helps.  Best, Dr. K (Austin, Tx)

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

+1

Hard to comment on the suggestion without photos. I imagine that the surgeon felt that the skin excess extended all the way around the back.

At your current weight you are right at the safety threshold for a TT-(BMI of 30).  Your surgery will be safer and your outcome better if you were to lose at least 25 pounds. 

All the best.