What Are the Immediate Effects of Pearl Laser?

I had Peal Laser done 30 hours ago. Now I have 3 cold sores and my face is itching. Do I call my doctor? What should I do? Thank You!

Immediately after Pearl treatment

+1

Hello Rondie~

Sorry to hear about your discomfort.  First, when in doubt--Always call the doctor's office where they treated you.  We would always want to hear from our patients if they have questions or concerns rather than have them sit home miserable and worrying...especially if there is a simple fix.  So definitely call.  It is not unusual to get an outbreak of cold sores after a laser treatment if you are not pretreated with something like Valtrex or another anti-viral. (Since you know about this now...if no one asks, which they should, before future laser treatments always advise the person treating you that have had a history of outbreaks following treatment)  I am always an advocate of Valtrex,even after the cold sores have appeared.  In the interim before you see your physician, a topical antiviral like Abreva can help. Itching is not uncommon after treatment.  Dilute 1 teaspoon of white vinegar in 2 cups of cool/cold water, soak a wash cloth in the solution and apply it to your face.  This should help with itching and irritation.  Avoid moisturizers or cleansers with any perfume or scent because they can irritate the skin. Try a moisturizer like Cetaphil and if need be you can mix in a 1% hydrocortisone cream with it.

Good luck in your recovery!

Dr. Grant Stevens            

Pearl laser patients with a history of cold sores should be on antiviral prior to treatment.

+1

The Pearl laser, like the sun, can trigger an outbreak of latent Herpes simples. We start our patients on Valtrex (or similar drug) at the time of the Pearl to stymie this problem.

The fever blisters will run their course and your itching is a byproduct of the wound healing process. Cool compresses should help that. It's probably too late to benefit from Valtrex.