I Had a PE After my Pregnancy in 2010. Do Not Have Any Blood Clot Disorders. Am I Safe to Have Breast Implants?

Risk of Blood Clots

+1

It is not unusual to get some blood clots after pregnancy or being on birth control but in your case I would have a study for genetic predisposition to clotting, which can be done at a reasonable cost, and if you do have a clotting disorder you could still have implants. I recommend the baby aspirin 1 week before surgery along with mini heparin injections during surgery.

Risk of Blood Clots after surgery is low but higher for those with a history of this problem

+1

Hi there-

Especially if you have already been evaluated and it was determined that your previous blood clot was related to your pregnancy, the risk of another blood clot with a relatively short operation like a breast augmentation should be low.

On the other hand, it is important for you to understand that the risk for you (because you have had a clot in the past) is always going to be a bit higher than for someone who has never had this problem.

Your best bet is to discuss this openly with your doctor and your plastic surgeon.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Increased risk for surgery?

+1

Thank you for your question.  If a complete workup for clotting disorders has been done and found to be negative, then you would be safe to have breast augmentation.  In my practice, we always use compression stockings and special air stockings on top of the stockings that have chambers that inflate sequentially from the calves up to the knees.  This keeps the blood flowing in the calves during surgey to prevent blood clots.  For high risk patients, we give them a blood thinner called "Lovenox" as well.  As a result, we've never had a post-op clot.  Be sure your surgeon has these things available.  Hope this helps.

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Blood clots after pregnancy

+1

You should be safe to have breast augmentation, but it would be safest to have medical clearance to rule out an unusual blood disorder.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon