Size and Cost Recommendations for Silicone Gel Implants?

After nursing my child for 13 months I am left with an A cup! My pre-pregnancy size was a B. I want to be about a C cup, I think. I am 5'3, 115 lbs. so I'm worried about going too big for my size. What would doctors suggest?

I am in Okinawa, JP and my American trained doctor wants to charge $8,000 as an overall cost (meds included) for silicone gel implants. Should I wait until I move back to the states? No one I know has paid more than $6,000. I'd be getting them in the South Jersey area.

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

Breast Implant Sizing?

+1

Clear communication with your surgeon will be a  critical step  to achieve your goals. Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between size of implant used in resulting cup size.

In regards to communication I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.   I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

Post Pregnancy Breast Augmentation

+1

Bra sizes are confusing. More often than not, a woman is not wearing a correctly fitted bra, doesn't know her bra size, or doesn't know how a bra is fitted.

Cup size is dependent on the "number" part of the bra size... a D cup in a 34 bra is a different size from a 42 bra.

That being said, bra manufacturers are not held to any uniform standards when it comes to cup size and shape... that is why one brand of bra might fit you very well for a given size, but not another brand. Or, you wear a 34D in a Victoria's Secret bra, and a 34C in another brand, for example.

When discussing breast size after augmentation, outward projection can be further determined by the "profile" of the implant. High school geometry: Height (projection) times Width (base width). A Higher Profile implant will give you a larger cup size for less volume than a Moderate Profile implant.

Furthermore, a saline implant looks bigger than a silicone implant of the same volume. That is because a saline implant is more oval (round on both top and base), while a silicone implant is flat on the base.

Some plastic surgery books have proposed the following parameters for breast augmentation:

• 32 bra: 100-200 ml per cup size
  • 34 bra: 150-250 ml per cup size
  • 36 bra: 200-300 ml per cup size
  • 38 bra: 250-350 ml per cup size  

Prices will vary by region. $8000 is high for Florida. I cannot speak for Japan or New Jersey.

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO: Breast augmentation with implants with sizers following nursing

+1

Interestingly the Realself lists about $7000 as the average national cost but this includes both saline and silicone implants. The silicone implants cost about $1000 more than saline. In regards to size, generally speaking, to go from a A cup to a C cup in the average individual is a 250-325 cc implant but there are exceptions and I would begin sizing using the zip lock bag or rice in a stocking maneuvers to get a better estimate.  I have an article on realself about this as well. The video below has sample sizing results.

T's very difficult to know the ideal size breast implants for you, this does vary very much with size and appearance of your bus

+1

Thank you very much for your enquiry, it's very difficult to know the ideal size breast implants for you, this does vary very much with size and appearance of your bust. Whether you had the surgery in Japan or back in America really depends on how you feel about the surgeons in either areas and I would advice you to research them fully before you decide to proceed with surgery.

I wish you the best of luck if you do decide to go ahead with surgery.

Adrian Richards, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant sizing and cost

+1

Most patients are interested in looking proportional after their breast augmentation.  To achieve this, the most important measurement is the width of your breast.  Picking an implant with a wdth that is relatively close to your breast width will be the best way to assure you get an implant which fits your body size.  Your surgeon should also have you try on "sizers" which will give you a general idea of what size looks best on you.  Regarding cost, differant areas of the country will see differant fees charged.  If you have a excellant doctor, with a good reputation and a good rapport then that is the most important thing.  Bargain shopping may result in sub-optimal results.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Implants surgeon choice

+1

Choosing the right doctor for you is a personal choice, but I wouldn't be peeny wise and dollar foolish.  Choose a good doctor and do not focus too much on the cost difference because you may pay more in the long run.

Size and Cost Recommendations for Silicone Gel Implants

+1

Size of silicone from 3500 cc's to 450 cc's HP model. In USA fee range from $6,000 to $8,000. So if you want to wait or delay it is your decision. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

$6000 all in!!

+1

Prices vary from region to region and $8000 may be ok in South Jersey. In the Minneapolis area silicone implants are about $6000 all in. We find that sizing with gel implants pre-operatively to be helpful for the patient.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant sizing

+1

This is a very frequent question as previously noted.  Unfortunately, breast implant sizing is not an exact science and it is difficult to correlate an implant  size to a particular cup size which may be somewhat subjective.  We like to use a sizing exercise at the time of consultation, placing a variety of different size implants in a fitting bra to  help narrow down to a range of particular implant sizes at the time of consultation.  The final choice, however is still made at the time of surgery using intraoperative sizers.  It is probably most important to pick an  experienced board-certified plastic surgeon that you trust and feel comfortable with .   

Stephen Delia, MD