Will I Have to Pay for Labiaplasty if I Am Under 16 and Have Been Referred by my Doctor?

Labiaplasty may be covered by insurance

+2

Insurance companies will only cover procedures they (not doctors or patients) feel are medically necessary. Each insurance company is different, and has different requirements. If you are having symptoms such as rashes, infections, open wounds, hygeine problems, painful intercourse, difficulty with daily activities and exercise, there is a chance the labiaplasty may be covered by insurance. If you would like to change the appearance for cosmetic reasons, it will not be covered by insurance. The best thing to do is describe your symptoms or reasons you would like to have the procedure, and  have the plastic surgeon submit for pre-authorization for the procedure. The insurance company may ask for additional information, documentation, and possibly photographs. If the procedure is approved, then most likely they will pay for it (no guarantees with insurance companies!). I have had success with insurance coverage for labiaplasty when the procedure is deemed medically necessary.  Good luck!

Labiaplasty coverage with insurance

+1

Some insurance companies will pay for a labiaplasty, but this is a rarity rather than the exception. Check with your insurance company first and ask them what their coverage is for that procedure. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

LABIAPLASTY NOT COVERED BY INSURANCE

+1

Labiaplasty is not covered by insurance in the majority of cases even when referred by a physician.

drcordoba.com

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
MDCM, CSPQ, FRCS, FACS
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8
514-932-7667

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - Insurance Coverage

+1

Hi Emily6312,

Simply being referred from one doctor to another does not necessarily guaranteed coverage - for this or any other procedure or service.  Each insurance company is different and, increasingly, it requires more and more precise connections and discussions with your own insurance company, to find out what the "rules" are, before you proceed with the surgery.

Labiaplasty, although often correcting an area that may be symptomatic and causes lots of problems, is often considered a cosmetic procedures.  I do not know of any insurance companies that will "cover" (ie, pay for) a cosmetic procedure.

That being said, if you're uncomfortable enough that you want to proceed with a consultation, you should do so.  You have to get your parents' approval before undergoing any surgery (depending on the laws of your state) and you may or may not need to get that even to be seen for a consultation (in a non-emergent setting).  Hopefully, your parents will be sympathetic and will facilitate this process.  If not, you'll have to wait until you're 18, although you should be able to - at least - get the ball rolling.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty is considered a cosmetic procedure even though many women seek to undergo the procedure to relieve discomfort.   Insurance companies generally do not regard the procedure as medically necessary as it is difficult to prove such discomfort.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

+1

Labiaplasty is not often covered by insurance, however in instances where there is a medical indication, it may be.  Check with your insurance carrier to determine coverage.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty not covered by insurance

+1

Even if you are referred by a Doctor, this procedure is usually considered cosmetic surgery and would not be covered by insurance, and you would be expected to pay for it before it is done.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon