Should I Have to Pay for a Redo?

Although it's too soon to tell, as it has only been a week since my surgery, but I think my chin implant has shifted. Should I have to pay for a follow-up procedure to correct this?

Chin Augmentation: What to Expect in the First Few Weeks

+1

Thank you for your question.  Following a chin augmentation, swelling is expected.  It takes a number of weeks to a few months to allow the swelling to dissipate and for the soft tissue to adapt.  I would discuss this timing with your plastic surgeon.  If a revision is beneficial, most doctors have a reasonable revision policy, especially is an implant has shifted.  Chin implants are generally placed in a tight pocket and sutured in position, so a major shift is unlikely.  I would suggest staying calm, let some time pass, and keep following up with your doctor.  Best wishes!

Too soon to tell

+1

You definitely have swelling that can be confused with asymmetry or possible make you think that the implant has shifted.  I would definitely discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Ask him or her if titanium screws were used to fixate the chin implant.  If so, this will at least give you more comfort that its more likely just asymmetric swelling.  As far as paying for redo. Most surgeons have a policy on redo or revision surgery. Definitely discuss this. Surgical fees may be waived but facility fees or anesthesia fees may not be.  Good luck.

Manolis Manolakakis, DMD
Middletown Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Discuss Redo With Your Surgeon

+1
Thank you for your question. Unless your surgeon has diagnosed a shifted implant, it is very early after surgery to evaluate your results. Swelling itself can be asymmetric. Depending on the type of implant and incision used, revision can be either very simple or more complicated. Some procedures can be done under local anesthesia.  Most surgeons have a redo policy that does not include charging for the surgery, but there is some charge if it is done in a surgical facility.  Discuss these matters further with your surgeon. Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Shifted Chin Implant

+1

One week after surgery is too early to tell unless the plastic surgeon says it has shifted.  Sometimes there is asymmetric swelling.  However, if this has shifted, I am sure that the surgeon will not charge you.