Should I Have to Pay for a Second Breast Augmentation Surgery After Infection?

One week after my breast augmentation surgery I had to have my implants removed due to infection in both sides. The doctor said it was not staph, but a very rare situation.I feel like I should not have to pay for the second surgery. Should I?

Should I Have to Pay for a Second Breast Augmentation Surgery After Infection?Answer:

+2

Most of us that are Board Cert. would not charge a patient in the case of complications but the patient would be responsible for the Surgery Center and Anesthesia costs. It is not reasonable for the doctor to cover, out of pocket, every bad thing that happens to a patient. Most doctors are happy to donate their time to get it right!!!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Charges for Further Surgery

+2

You will find that there is no standard policy among plastic surgeons in the rare event of breast implant infection.

I think the majority of plastic surgeons  build their practices on  the principal of making their patients happy; most will not charge (or if so minimally) patients who have had an unfortunate complication.

I would suggest continued communication with your plastic surgeon in a calm nonaccusatory fashion.

Replacing infected breast implants

+2

Each office will have it's own pricing policy but most would not charge to remove the infected implants.  But since implant infection is very rare and shouldn't be considered to be the "surgeon's fault" in most cases, there would be some reinsertion costs to offset the costs of equipment, salaries to the staff, and new implants.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Implant Removal Due To Infection All Part of Original Surgery

+2

If an implant needs to be removed due to an infection in the initial healing course ( first few months), most surgeons do not charge to replace the implant.  To me, this is all part of the initial surgery and means that something did not go as planned for whatever reason.  I would address it with your surgeon since we all have different revision policies, but my hope is that they would not charge you for it.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Reaugment costs after infection

+1
Bilateral infection is very rare and, unless the surgeon was somehow at fault, I don't know how you could expect him to be responsible for the costs of a second operation. Consult your doctor's financial policy. Most plastic surgeons want their patients to have good outcomes and I am sure that your surgeon will try to work with you to achieve a compromise solution that is appropriate for both of you. I would encourage you to discuss the type of infection and potential treatment with your surgeon prior to proceeding with additional treatment.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Infection after surgery

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  Infections are indeed rare, when proper technique and antibiotic coverage is used - but they do happen.  Most commonly it's from the patient's skin bacteria.

Each office has their own policy.  Review the paperwork you signed prior to your first surgery - it may be written there.  Usually, the fees are significantly reduced...but the patient will probably have to pay for supplies and for the anesthesiologist, even if the surgeon reduces or waives their fees.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Infection after breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. I am very sorry that you had an infection.

Each plastic surgeon's office has it's own policy.  One important thing to check is see if your plastic surgeon carries insurance for complications after cosmetic surgery.  One such company is CosmetAssure. This type of insurance will pay medical bills associated, for instance, with the removal of an infected breast implant, etc... My office carries CosmetAssure and luckily, I rarely have to use it.

Fortunately, the incidence of infection in elective breast augmentation is low, but it does happen.  I've had one infection in over nine years.  The question is...how to handle it financially with the patient.

For my practice, I would not charge a surgeon's fee.  I would humbly ask my local implant representative to comp the implants if at all possible.  That leaves only the anesthesia fee and the ambulatory surgery facility fee for 45 minutes to put them back in.

The anesthesia fees and ambulatory surgery fees are hard to get around. Surgeons that operate in their office may discount these fees but make certain that the office has a certifed and accredited operating room.

Again, this is just one example of how to handle the situation.  Go back to your surgeon and ask what he/she can offer you.

Good luck. I hope it goes well second time around.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Who pays for revision surgery

+1

The answer to this question depends on each situation.  In most situtations where there is no specific person or event at fault it is hard to imagine that any one entity (patient or surgeon) would want to pay in full.  Often, it works best in these situation if everyone chips in.  The surgeon can do his/her part for free, the facility might discount their fees, and the patient picks up the rest.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Infection of implants and costs

+1

Every office is a bit different. Usually the facility fees will not be waived( anesthesia, staff, implants), but I think the majority of doctors will waive their fee to perform the surgery.

Breast implant replacement after infection

+1

Breast implant infection is very uncommon after augmentation, infection on both sides is rare. If the infection cannot be solved with antibiotics, then removal and later replacement is the only option. Cause is very difficult to determine though you could ask about surgical infection rates in the facility you had your procedure performed and if there is a 'problem' consider your replacement elsewhere. In surgical and medical care, cost is related to treatment, and not to a specific result or outcome. Each surgeon however may have differing policies concerning their individual fees.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd