Why Patients Cannot Take Vitamins Prior a Cosmetic Surgery?

Vitamins and surgery

+2

Most vitamin supplement preparations have high doses of vitamin E which thins the blood. I have personally had to cancel surgery in the middle of an operation because of bleeding that could not be stopped because the patient took high doses of vitamin E within a few days of surgery without telling me. Stopping the surgery was the safest thing to do and the patient ended up doing well.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Vitamins prior to surgery

+1

Vitamins are OK, but you have to be careful what is in the vitamin pill. I tell pateints that One multivitamin is ok as long as their is no more than 800 iu of VItamin E. Vitamin E can affect wound healing in high doses.