Do Patients Have the Option to Take the Before and After Pictures for Plastic Surgery?

If someone is camera shy and they don't want to take the before and after pictures, can they opt out? Just wondering

Photos and plastic surgery

+2

Pre-op photos are a msut so that I can properly review each and every patient because they are all so different.  We respect the privacy of our patients and do not share them unless given permission.

You need pre and postop photos for plastic surgery

+2

It is absolutely necessary for your plastic surgeon to have photos of you but you can certainly sign off on their not using them for any public purpose.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Modesty regarding photos

+1

Pre-operative photos are essential for cosmetic surgery and smaller office treatments. These photos are more than vanity photos where we can see how wonderful your procedure has been. Conversely these photos help your surgeon in pre-operative planning of your procedure, and aid in maximizing your result so that we can judge how you are progressing after the procedure and whether interventions during the post-op course are needed.

It is best for your surgeon's office to take the photos to ensure standardization, but if not possible outside photos are better than no photos

Algird R. Mameniskis, MD

Before and after pics

+1

Usually, the pre and post op pics are not optional.  However, it may depend on the doctor and the procedure.  Usually however, larger procedures, it is very important part of the record.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Photos are very important for patient and surgeon with plastic surgery

+1

I have had my share of patients not interested in taking 'before' pictures at their pre-operative visit with me.  This is completely understandable and we take every step available to make patients feel as comfortable as possible with this.  We also thoroughly go through a photo consent prior to taking pictures so patients understand the validity of photographs.  Photos are never shared outside of our office unless a patient agrees and signs giving their permission.  Having been in practice for over 20 years, I often have pictures of current patients dating back to the 80's!  This can be an invaluable tool in discussing treatment plans and outcomes for future procedures.  Even when a patient is extremely reluctant to take 'before' pictures - they are always happy they did once they see a side-by-side comparison after their procedure.  It's each surgeon's choice of course, but I would never operate on someone without photos.  Best of luck.

Glenn M. Davis, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon