Do Patients Have to Pay More Money to Fix Residual Spacing Due to Excessive IPR?

I am on my last tray of Invisalign Express, and the place where my doctor performed an IPR has not closed. Are patients expected to pay additional costs for more aligners in cases like these?

Is Your Invisalign Treatment Not Finished?

+1

Just like regular braces, there are many times when your orthodontist must make course corrections in your Invisalign treatment to address normal variations between patients. The digital estimate made at the beginning of treatment is the best case scenario. It represents the result if every thing goes perfectly. It almost never does. Luckily Align Technology, the manufacturer of Invisalign, allows doctors to resubmit cases for "revisions" at the end of the first set of aligners for no additional charge. This should not be looked upon as failure, but reality. Our bodies don't always respond to prescriptions as they should. If you are not completely satisfied with your Invisalign outcome, discuss it with your doctor and suggest a revision. Good luck!

Albuquerque Orthodontist

Should additonal aligners cost me more money

+1

In my office I quote a case fee for the entire case including refinements and retainers.  If there is some remaining space after IPR is completed then it will be included in the case to close.  Other dentists may have different policies so I would discuss it with you dentist.

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

It depends on the Treatment Goals Defined in the Contract

+1

The real answer is it depends.

If your doctor passed on discounts to you based on lower lab fees with Invisalign Express, perhaps you might get charged based on the terms of treatment agreed upon at the start of treatment if they want to be inflexible in the treatment goals defined at the outset.

However, your doctor is responsible for your treatment plan and getting you to the desired result. Even if there was excessive IPR or if your case simply should have been a Full Invisalign case with more aligners from the start, this is all part of your doctor's job description and in my opinion you shouldn't be charged a refinement fee to close up the spaces in the end.

Allentown Orthodontist

Should additional aligners cost me?

+1

If these spaces were caused by the doctors IPR you should not pay for any additional aligners, not matter what the original contract says.....at least this is my opinion!

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Additional aligners to refine treatment should be included in original fee

+1

In my opinion, any mid-course corrections, or refinements, resulting in additional aligners should be included in the original treatment fee. The dentist should have made it very clear to you before beginning treatment as to what the fee includes. He might have given you a lower initial fee, with YOUR UNDERSTANDING that any additional aligners, or retainers would be additional.

New York Cosmetic Dentist