What Causes Patients to Pass Away from Iiposuction? What Can Go Wrong During and After the Surgery?

I will be getting this surgery done very soon and I just want to know what can go wrong. I know a blood vessel can burst during surgery, an infection and tight garments can cause death. I am asking these question so I can know what I need to pay attention to so, I will not have any problems.

Liposuction riks

+1
The risks would include embolism, hemorrhage, and anesthesia reaction. Your plastic surgeon will discuss risks during the informed consent. You should pay attention to whether your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist are board certified, whether the facility is accredited and has the appropriate equipment for treatment of complications and whether the amount to be liposuctioned is within the appropriate range. Risks increase with excessive liposuction.

Liposuction risks

+1
Liposuction life threatening risks include: anesthetic risks, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolus , perforation of intestines, infection, allergic reactions and fluid overload or under resuscitation. I inferred from your statement that your attention to potential, though unlikely events, would help you avoid them. Unfortunately none of these risks are under your control and are by nature inherent risks. The best way to minimize your risks is to have your procedure done by a board certified Plastic Surgeon in an accredited facility. Best of luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Life is risky

+1
The risk of dying from liposuction is about 10x higher than skydiving. It is also half the risk of dying in a car accident each day. Something to think about!

Marc Schneider, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Risks in every surgery

+1

There are risks involved in every surgical procedure. Your goal needs to be to minimize risk. Some surgeries such as liposuction have risks not present in other procedures (such as fat emboli where fat can become loose and travel in the bloodstream to cause problems.) Risks of liposuction depend very much on what type of liposuction is being performed, who it is being performed on (medical history and general health,) how much liposuction is being done, is it being done under anesthesia or awake, and multiple other factors. This is a good question, but one that is only best explained by a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate your health, see your areas of concerns and make recommendations. Be very wary of non plastic surgeons perfoming noninvasive procedures in a non-accredited facility. Many ladies who want "smartlipo" simply are not candidates for this procedure under local anesthesia. Local anesthesia sounds safer than general anesthesia until you critically look at the large volumes of fluid and lidocaine being given often in unmonitored situations. The fact that you are asking questions is an excellent first step. Meet with a plastic surgeon so you can ask many questions about your options and risks. I linked below to a blog entry about a recent death from fat transfer and liposuction in Las Vegas. Good luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Risks

+1

Lioposuction has the lowest risks of any major plastic surgery procedure, but there are still small risks of such problems as skin damage, bleeding, infection and blood clot.  Your best option for avoiding complications is to see a board-certified plastic surgery with impeccable credentials, reputation, experience and results.

David Stoker, MD

If you want to greatly reduce the major risks from liposuction, then don't ever do it under general anesthesia!

+1

Doing liposuction under local tumescent technique is by far the safest way to go for liposuction and usually will allow the doc to stand you up and position you more easily to check the results during the whole procedure which gives better results.  Eliminating general anesthesia is one of the best things you can do as well as seeing a doc who specializes in liposuction surgery.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon