What Happens when Patients Experience Allergic Reaction to Sutures?

How are allergic reactions to sutures resolved? I plan on having breast lift/reduction this summer. I'm very worried because I have extremely sensitive skin and experience all sorts of allergic reactions (to lotions, perfumes, metals, etc.)

Suture allergies

+3

I don't know the exact incidence of suture alergies, however I believe it is rare.  I think more commonly, the dissolving sutures surface or "spit" to the surface and act as a wick for bacteria and cause abcesses.

My recommendation is that you get old op reports to see what sutures you had trouble with.  I would recommend dissoving, monofiliment sutures.