How Will Patients Age After a Facelift?

Once you have a Facelift, can you age naturally from that point or do you risk facial distortions without further maintenance? Can you elect to age naturally after a Facelift? Is a redo required?

Aging After A Facelift

+2

Aging occurs naturally after a well done facelift, especially after a facelift that corrects facial aging such as a “Lift & Fill” facelift which is scientifically based upon correction of aging from fat atrophy and gravitational sagging.

Aging after a Facelift

+1

A patient will continue to age normally after a well-done facelift.  Athough it has not been scientifically proven, after 35 years of facelift surgery I find that patients usually age at a slower pace because of the normal, undetectable deep scarring from the first facelift and the fact that they live a healthier life style.

Natural aging process continues after face lift

+1

The facial aging process continues to march on even after a facelift. A patient never has to undergo another facelift unless they want to. Providing the surgery was done correctly, they will always look better than they would if they never had the facelift done barring any further facial distortions or the aging process after a facelift. A redo is not required unless the patient wants to proceed with performing another facelift.

Aging after a Facelift

+1

Hopefully very nicely. But it is a patient specific question. Some want to look tight for years while other patients want that natural aging look. Good Luck!

After a well done facelift, you will age normally

+1

A well done facial rejuvenation will provide you with a balanced rejuvenated appearance. Most patients with typical aging changes do best with a combination of procedures that address all aspects of facial aging. This typically includes browlift, eyelid surgery, cheeklift, face and necklift, fat grafting, and possible dermabrasion or laser resurfacing. T

he aging process continues, but, having had the surgery you will always look better than you would have otherwise. You do not necessarily have to have further procedures, and you should not look unnatural. However, many facelift patients enjoy periodic Botox, and fillers to compliment their surgery. Some years later, a redo facelift might be beneficial, though I see patients many years later who still look good and do not need revisions.

Michael D. Yates, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Aging appearance with passage of time after a facelift.

+1

Aging after a facelift can be effected by the technique. Clearly, it is important that you seek a skilled surgeon. Furthermore do not let financial concerns limit the procedure. For example if a facelift is performed with excessive tightness to the skin of the jawline only, time will cause the midface to sag over the lower face similar to the way a belly can sag over a tight belt. If all components of the face are lifted and supported with deep tissue work, it is more likely that you will achieve a natural appearance over time.

Your face should age normally after a well performed face lift.

+1

The most important feature for obtaining a lasting, natural result after facelift surgery is vertical redrapement of your facial skin, and underlying soft-tissue. As we age, gravity has the effect of pulling facial tissues straight down to the floor, and natural facelift results may be achieved by avoiding a backward pull on the skin. This is what leads to the wind-blown stigma often associated with facelift surgery.

You should choose your facelift surgeon carefully. Look at many photos, and chat with some patients that had previous surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face lift only turns the clock back but will stop it

+1

Face lift will turn the clock back and then the aging starts. The aging process will be slower if patient starts better skin care, good diet, no smoking and sun screen.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

A good facelift sets the clock back, slows it, but does not stop it

+1

The contemporary face-lift well performed will rebuild the face structurally to achieve a natural result . It also will better support the overlying tissues so that the face ages more slowly and harmoniously.

However, the effect of aging will never stop but can be slowed.

No one needs the initial face-lift or will they need a redo, but many after years will seek an update.

Dr. Mayl

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Aging after a Facelift

+1

Theoretically, a facelift turns back the clock but you continue to age at the same rate you aged before. By this theory, you should need nothing else done unless you really want to stop aging and continue to look as you did at a specific time in your life. In reality, it has not usually been working this way. There are several reasons.

First, most standard facelifts do not return the tissues to where they started (they rotate them backwards) and they remove some tissue in areas where the body is already losing it. In addition, the tissues are not supported equally. When gravity starts pulling again, it is pulling on the tissues differently. This, occasionally, causes some unique problems to develop that many people find distracting and wish corrected, even if other parts of the face have remained with a relative improvement.

Secondly, most standard facelifts tack the elevated tissues to other soft tissues that can also be affected by gravity. After the facelift, gravity pulls, not only on the elevated tissues, but also on those to which they are attached. Instead of only one tissue to re-stretch, both do. Therefore, aging occurs more rapidly than it was before the facelift. The most glaring example of this is when the earlobes descend down the cheek after a facelift. (Look at a number of older male singer celebrities as examples).

Many Plastic Surgeons like myself who see a large number of people wishing revision of previous facelifts, (60% of the facelifts I do are re-dos) are trying to develop methods to prevent these problems and allow you to age slower and more naturally. My solution has been to adopt the concepts of the MACS Lift. This method does not remove tissue, elevates it back to where it came, and supports it with sutures into non-stretchable bone.

There are also a number of other advantages of what I do, like generally shorter incisions, improved earlobes, and sideburns that are not elevated. These also reduce the need for later revision. Since you are concerned about re-aging, I would suggest that you discuss this with your surgeon at length before surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon