How Can a Patient Minimize the Risk of Rotation After Surgery with Anatomical Implants?

+1

Regarding: "How Can a Patient Minimize the Risk of Rotation After Surgery with Anatomical Implants? "

The short answer is - you can't. The follow up question is WHY are you having Anatomical Breast Implants?

All Anatomical breast implant come in a textured (rough) surface which was meant to increase their adherence to the tissues, lower the incidence of capsular contracture and prevent rotation. Unfortunately, while there IS a higher adherence by Anatomical breast implants to the breast tissue (which translates into a higher rate of rippling and implant shell fatigue and leaking), they do NOT have a much lower rate of capsular contracture and DO have a significant rate of rotation.

The FIRST breast implants came out in the 1960's with a Velcro-like Dacron strip on the back to prevent sagging and rotation. Due to significant issues with this "hang 'em high" simplistic device, it was taken off all subsequent breast implants. In the 1970's, Third generation polyurethane coated breast implants such as Meme and Optimam came out. Although they had less capsular contracture rates than other gel implants they had considerable other issues and were taken off the market.

Most American Plastic surgeons who have used anatomical implants in the past either stopped or greatly reduced their use of such implants.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Anatomic implants and minimizing rotation

+1

This is a great question and one reason why I no longer use these implants. Generally speaking most of these implants have a textured surface to minimize this tendencsy. Contrary to smooth implants where we seek a soft supple generous capsule to minimize contracture, we prefer an intimately adherent capsule with anatomic implant to minimize rotation in pocket. In some instances surgeons may use drains and limit post-operative activity and employ the use of compressive dressings to ensure a snug fit of the capsule around the implant and minimize rotation within the pocket.

Polyurethane covered implants prevent rotation

+1

unfortunately these implants are not available in the US. I have over 10 years of experience with cohesive silicone gel implants with a coverage of polyurethane, which not only prevents rotation of the implants, but also delivers a significant decrease of the risk of capsular contracture (= the becoming hard of implants over time).

These implants have been used in the US for a number of years, but were taken off the market in the early 90ies as a consequence of the anti-silicone hype. Now there is ample scientific evidence showing the perfect safety of these implants.

I now only use this...

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

+1

Even with GREAT dissection of the pocket these, anatomic implants, still have a very high risk of rotation. That is one of the reasons they are seldom used in the States. They also have a slight, slight higher risk of deflation. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Rotation of implants

+1

Precise pocket development is critical to avoid implant rotation.  If the pocket is too wide, there is an increased risk of rotation.  Experience matters.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Rotation of Anatomic Implants

+1
The only thing you can do is assure that the surgeon you see has significant experience with these implants. Though seldom used in the US, they are very popular in Europe. I really like these, but, unfortunately, they are only generally available in saline. To prevent rotation, the surgical procedure has to be modified. I also do not believe one manufacturer's implants adhere where put as well as the other. Since figuring this out, I have had no rotation. I do believe they provide exceptional naturalness in selected individuals.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

"Anatomic" implants are not truly anatomic

+1

Rotation is only one potential problem with the so-called anatomic implants. For most patients, the profile is identical to round implants in the upright position (so they are not more anatomic) but the round implants will change shape when lying down (like a natural breast) while the shaped implants don't. There are circumstances where the shaped implants (as they should be called) are a better choice but this is a small percentage. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Minimizing rotation of anatomic implants

+1

Unfortunately there is no way to minimize the risk of the anatomic implants from rotating on you.  That is why I am not a fan of them.