Partial or Full Face Fraxel Restore?

I'm interested in having Fraxel Restore done but was wondering whether it would be better to have a partial or full face procedure done? I really only have problems such as minor wrinkling and acne scaring on my cheek area where the rest of my face is pretty good. Would someone be able to tell the difference in coloring or texture in skin that has been treated by Fraxel and skin that has not had the procedure done? Thanks.

Whether you have partial or full face laser treatment really depends on what result you’re trying to achieve

+1

Whether you have partial or full face laser treatment really depends on what result you’re trying to achieve. If you’re just trying to treat the mouth area or the eye area, you have to do the treatment in sections. For example, you have to follow your natural line and do the eye area up to the area of the bone. You either do the full face, just the eye area or just the mouth area depending on what you are trying to achieve.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fraxel generally works better for full face

+1

In our experience also the Fraxel Dual (or previously Restore) gives best results when the full face , neck and chest are treated.

Spot treatments have not worked well for us.

Hope this helps.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fraxel for the Full Face or Partial Face

+1

In general I recommend full facial treatments with the Fraxel Laser.  If you only treat part of the face, you may develop a noticeable difference in the treated and untreated areas.  Even areas of the face that are less severely sun-damaged will benefit from Fraxel.  The goal is to give the face an even tone and texture.

Joshua Zeichner, MD

Fraxel - full face or partial face

+1

Your concerns in your question are very valid, and yes sometimes one can see a difference between treated and untreated areas.  In general we prefer to treat the entire face with laser resurfacing to avoid these so called "demarcation lines"- a visible transition line separating the treated from the untreated skin.  If the entire face is not treated, we usually "feather" the laser, blending it irregularly into the untreated area at a lower energy setting in order to try to avoid this problem. 

Alternatively, if you have the entire face treated, you can treat the areas that do not obviously need the laser at a somewhat lower setting than the power used for the acne scars and wrinkles.  Please also keep in mind that with the Fraxel Restore multiple treatment sessions are necessary to accomplish an equivalent end result to one Carbon Dioxide laser treatment.

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon