Do Partial Closed Capsulotomy Tears Repair Themselves on Their Own?

I used too much pressure massaging and caused a partial closed capsulotomy on myself by accident. My implant is bulging through the crack/tear in the capsule. The doctor put me on singulair and vitamin e but will the bulge really be able to repair itself without surgery?

+1

Where the capsule tore and the implant is exposed, more capsule will form to seal off the foreign body (implant). The unknown is whether this will correct the current distortion of the implants and presumably breast shape. If your bra "corrects" the breast shape, using it to hold the position until the capsule is healed may result in a better outcome. All the best. 

Capsule tears

+1

the capsule will heal but there may be some distortion.

the meds are good.  you may try to tape your breast and wear a bra to support any bulge

Closed capsulotomy and irregularity

+1

The closed capsulotomy is seldom used any more.

Make sure that your implant has not ruptured, perhaps with an MRI.  BTW rupture of implants is the reason closed capsulotomies are no longer done frequently! 

Brent Moelleken, MD

Tears do close after closed capsulotomy

+1

Closed capsulotomy, pressure on the implant to tear the capsule and soften the breast, does heal. The firmness and contracture recur 80% of the time and the implant will round up again. It is possible to rupture the capsule and create a thin area or bulge, or rupture the implant and push gel into a lasting bulge, and you should have your surgeon take a look. By the way, there is no evidence that Singulair or vit E makes any difference, and you might wish to read the patient information on the Singulair website to understand what you are taking.

Capsular Tear

+1

Unfortunately, I think it is unlikely to improve fully.  It may get a little better with time as the body reforms the capsule in that area.  Hopefully, enough that it doesn't bother you and is not noticeable to others.  Try not to recreate the bulge during the first three month to avoid stretching the newly formed capsule.  There is no harm in waiting 3-6 months to see what happens.  Hope this helps.

Brian Reedy, MD
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Closed Capsulotomy and Repair

+1

In general, closed capsulotomy is not very effective at treating capsular contracture.  If you were able to cause the capsulotomy with massage, this was likely a thin capsule.  The capsulotomy should scar with time.  If you are concerned about malposition or anything of the sort, ask your plastic surgeon.