Part of my Top Part Eyelid is Cut off in an Accident. What Can Be Done?

Usually many options in Eyelid Reconstruction

+1

Without knowing many details of your injury one can only speak in general terms.

That said there are usually many options for eyelid reconstruction.   Based on the details of your situation a surgeon experienced in such reconstructions should be able to present you with several options.

If there is an experienced oculoplastic surgeon in your area, that would likely be your best place to get expert advice and care.

Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS

Madison, WI

Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Reconstruction

+1

You may be a candidate for eyelid reconstruction.  There are a number of options available in the repair of eyelid defects secondary to trauma.  A photograph of the defect would be helpful in guiding the answer to this questions however.  A consultation in person would be beneficial as well to assess the remaining eyelid tissue and laxity of the adjacent skin.  Skin grafts, flaps, and lid sharing procedures are some of the reconstructive options that your surgeon would consider in order to give a good functional and anatomical result that is also cosmetically appealing.

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Trauma Reconstruction

+1

Without a photo it is difficult to assess exactly what might be required. However, based on your description, it is likely that a skin graft harvested from your other eyelid could provide the necessary tissue to reconstruct your injured eyelid. If necessary, local flaps can provide required tissue as can cartilage harvested from the ear.

Jeffrey Weinzweig, MD

Eyelid Reconstruction Tailored To Size Of The Defect

+1

Missing part of your upper eyelid can represent a host of lid defects that are different in both size and exactly what structures are absent. For small upper lid defects, the sides of the eyelid can be brought together to remove a notched defect that will restore a lid margin and bring the eyelashes back together. I suspect this may be the type of eyelid defect you have. Larger upper eyelid defects may need more tissue than what the sides of the eyelid can give. In this case, tissue may need to be borrowed from the lower eyelid or brought in from oher areas. These upper eyelid defects pose more major problems for eye coverage and are treated more acutely.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Eyelid Reconstruction

+1

There are many options to repair missing tissue of the eyelid. Without photos, it is difficult to advise. However, reconstruction should be tailored to first allow the eyelid to close properly, second to allow it to open for visual function, and finally for cosmesis. A surgeon addressing your defect has to determine what level of the eyelid is missing and then how to replace it. I would recommend consulting with an ophthalmologist or preferably an oculoplastic surgeon to best address your eyelid reconstruction.

Carlo Rob Bernardino, MD
Monterey Oculoplastic Surgeon