Which Part of Body Do Keloid Occurs?

I read that there is a high chance keloid will occur along the jawline. I'm considering getting the raised mole on my chin removed. I am keloid prone. Is the chin area consider a 'danger zone' for keloid occurence?

Keloid location

+1
Persons with keloidal tendency can firm keloids in any area of the body. The earlobes keloid after piercing and keloids can form at sites of surgical or traumatic scarring. Among the worst areas for keloids is the chest. Family history is an important criterion for assessment of whether you will keloid. If that is the case, I would not recommend excision of a noncancerous lesion as the result will be problematic.

The Jawline is a high risk area for Keloids in suceptible individuals

+1

The Jawline is one of the high risk areas for Keloids in susceptible individuals.  Keloid formation is unique to certain individuals, so if a person has keloids in other areas, they may be more likely to get a keloid if a surgical procedure is done on the jawline.  Some of the worst keloid I have treated have been in this area.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Keloid

+1

Keloid is a genetic condition you inherit from your parents.

It can occure any where in the body except certain privillaged areas, eye lids, palms and soles of feet and genetalia.

If you have one gene  then some of your scars will be keloid. If you have two genes, from mother and from father the almost all your scars will be keloid.

The only way to tell how YOU will scar look for other scars on you and that will tell how you scar, Family history is important also.

Keloids can occur on the chin

+1

Keloids can definitely occur on the chin, but with high rates?  I do not believe so.  I have seen them on the chin, but if surgically repaired well, then it should not happen; however, I have seen them several times.  My recommendation is to not remove the mole at all since I think the mole is better than the scar, but if you insist, a consultation to determine what type of surgical repair is necessary will be best option.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon