Which Part of my Body Does Doxycycline Help During Sclerotherapy?

+1

Thank you for your question. There is no need for Doxycycline or any other antibiotic prior to sclerotherapy treatment. I would recommend asking your doctor what the reason for your antibiotic prescription before stopping it because it might be for some other medical reason. I would avoid usage if not necessary to prevent resistance to antibiotics. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

No antibiotics needed for sclerotherapy

+1

There is absolutely no literature to support the use of antibiotics following sclerotherapy ... period ! It is nonsense practices like this that cause resistance to antibiotics.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

?? Prevention of Infection.

+1

Doxycycline is a commonly prescribed  antibiotic. As such it would not have a real role in sclerotherapy. The only reason I can contemplate for your physician to use Doxycyline would be their fear that you might suffer an infection. Perhaps, prescribing Doxycycline would give your physician reassurance that all would be well if bacteria entered the injection site. 

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Are antibiotics necessary for Sclerotherapy?

+1
There is no rationale for the routine use of antibiotics for Sclerotherapy. Perhaps your doctor prescribed this for another problem you inquired about during your Sclerotherapy visit?

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Sclerotherapy does not require doxycycline

+1

I have been doing sclerotherapy (leg vein injections) and have never required any antibiotic, including doxycline, as part of my treatment.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy

+1
Doxycycline is an antibiotic most commonly used to treat acne and rosacea. You should ask your doctor why he or she wants you to take it for sclerotherapy which is an injectable treatment for your leg veins.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon