What will the surgery for an Asian Eyelid Surgery Will Feel like?

Will I feel pressure, tingling, pulling or warmth on my eyelids during the procedure? Are most Asian eyelid surgeries done while the patients are awake?

Asian Eyelid Surgery

+1

Many Asian eyelid surgeries are done without the use of general anesthesia or IV sedation. It is common to use oral sedation and local anesthesia to keep you pain free and comfortable. You should not feel pain during the procedure however; you may feel some pressure. Talk to a board certified facial plastic surgeon who specializes in Asian eyelid surgery to see if this procedure is right for you and what your anesthesia options are.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian Eyelid Surgery Experience

+1

At my practice in New York, I perform Asian Eyelid Surgery under local anesthesia with light IV sedation (or "twilight" sedation).This eyelid surgery patient has virtually no pain. Cold compresses are used for 2 days. With my quick recovery approach to Asian Eyelid Surgery, my patients experience minimal downtime, maximum gain and natural results.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery done under IV sedation

+1

It depends on the type of sedation you receive. Most commonly it is done under either straight local (similar to many dental treatments) or with sleeping pills. I much prefer IV sedation or "twilight" sedation which allows the surgeon to operate with much less discomfort for the patient. The use of IV requires a certified OR in many states such as California. Cost considerations are one of the reasons the procedure may be done without IV sedation.

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

Cosmetic eyelid surgery won't hurt when done properly

+1

Local anesthesia gives the most accurate resluts.  There is usually no pain after the procedure and during healing.  During surgery, local anesthesia is used in the folliong manner to eliminate pain and bruising.

1 Use adequate lighting to avoid tiny blood vesels which could cause bruising

2 Use 32 g needles, the smallest diameter mad

3 Buffer the acidity of the solution with bicarb so that it stings very little if at all.

4 Use hyaluronidase in the sloution to help spread it quickly and evenly

5 Inject SLOWLY -  this in key for a painless injection

Richard Weiss, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asain eyelid surgery

+1

I doubt any doctor who does this procedure would routinely recommend general anesthesia for this procedure.  However, while it could be done under straight local, I prefer local anesthesia with sedation.  In this case, you really will not be aware of anything.  It is sometimes described as a twilight type of anesthesia.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid surgery usually done under local anesthesia

+1

Asian eyelid surgery is usually done under local anesthesia, that is where the skin is anesthesized with injections of numbing medicine.  It can also be done with IV sedation if the patient is particularly nervous and wants some sedation.  There is very little pain involved.  The stinging from the local anesthestic itself is usually the most comfortable part of the surgery.  There may be some pressure or a slight discomfort if excess fat is removed and while sutures to create the supratarsal crease are being put in.  You will not feel the skin sutures at all.  The whole procedure usually takes no more than 30 minutes.  You can go home with someone driving you right away.  Sutures are usually removed within 3-5 days.

James Tang, MD

Asian Blepharoplasty

+1

Asian Blepharoplasty can be done under local anesthesia with you awake.  While you will not feel any pain, you may feel minimal pressure or pulling, especially when the stitches are placed.  

Kimberly Lee, MD