Is it normal that I am unable to move my mouth without great difficulty after chin implant, rhinoplasty? (photo)

8 days ago, I had rhinoplasty, a small chin implant with wings (incision through chin), and very little fat transfer to crease between chin and lip, and to bottom lip. Speaking and smiling looks AWFUL and unnatural. None of my teeth show when I smile. I want to know if this is normal, and WHEN will I at least APPEAR normal when speaking / smiling. My surgeon didn't warn me of this going in, so now when she tells me it's normal, I cannot be sure..

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1

Postoperative edema (swelling) can make it difficult to fully smile, however this will resolve with time. Not all patients notice this but for some it can be disturbing.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal that I am unable to move my mouth without great difficulty after chin implant, rhinoplasty?

+1

What your are describing and demonstrating with the posted photos is "normal" post operative swelling after ONLY 8 days... Did you not have a pre operative discussion about the healing phases after your surgery from your surgeon??? Call your surgeon to be re educated about the post operative swelling/healing phases. Good Luck.//

Swelling after facial surgery

+1

Facial swelling certainly will be maximum during the first few weeks, and then will setlle down with time.

Swelling

+1
Given the surgery that you had around your lower lip and chin I would say that it is totally normal for you to have swelling that would limit movement and this should resolve with time.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon