Paranoid After Surgery?

I had nose surgery just over two months ago which corrected the left side of my nose as it had a hump that was visibly dominant on that side and was giving it an unpleasant right angle view, and to project the tip and preventing it from pulling down every time I smiled. Every time something uncomfortable happens, like smiling tightly, eating crunchy things, moving fast (like going down stairs), I feel like my nose tip is falling down. Visibly it seems fine and no bone was broken for the surgery.

Rhinoplasty issues

+2

At two months the nose wil probably be a bit stiff and may feel like things are being pulled down.  In all likelihood you should not have a problem. If you have concerns speak with your surgeon.

Paranoid after Rhinoplasty

+2

It sounds like you've made the correct diagnosis - Paranoia.  It is normal for you to be aware of changes as healing progresses enjoy the new nose.

Paranoid after rhinoplasty

+2

It is totally normal for the nose to feel a bit different after rhinoplasty. People often note that their upper lip seems tight, which goes along with the things you're noticing.

The nose will gradually begin to feel more normal with time as the swelling improves and scar tissue softens.

I'd bring up your concerns with your surgeon who can probably ease your fears the best.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

Some believe paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness!

+2

Your description sounds entirely normal for this time (2 months) after surgery. Things are well-healed, but scar tissue has not completely softened, skin sensation has not completely returned to its new "normal," and you are aware of every little thing concerning your nose! Even if your nasal bones had been infractured, they would have healed by two months after surgery; every rhinoplasty patient will have continued changes for 6-12 months, as others have correctly stated. This is why we usually do not recommend re-operation until at least that much time has passed.

Enjoy your new look without making yourself hyperaware of the whole healing process. It's the trip, not the destination!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/nose-surgery.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Worried and Paranoid About Nose After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi L,

Did you hear about the paranoid golden retriever?  It brough back everything!

It sounds as if you have had a successful rhinoplasty surgery.  It will likely take about 6 to 12 months until your nose feels back to normal.  No need to be paranoid about your nose, but watch out for those people following you after the chip was implanted (just kiddin").  Hope that you love your new nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Paranoid tip will fall again after rhinoplasty

+2

If your nose looks well after four weeks your results have healed firmly enough to withstand exercise. Rhinoplasty results for better of worse are quite stable. With all the 'bad' news today the sky might be falling, but the tip of your nose should stay up just fine.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Tightness of upper lip, numbness in nose are normal following rhinoplasty

+1

Tightness of upper lip, numbness in nose are normal following rhinoplasty. These symptoms can last for up to 6-12 months. If you have any concerns please followup with your surgeon so they can rule out any potential problems but this should resolve with time.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/rhinoplasty/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

A muscle can be causing depression of the nasal tip

+1

It sounds like you have had some reasonable improvement, but things still bother you.   All rhinoplasty surgeries take about one year to settle completely into a fully stable shape.

The scar tissue in the front of the nose (in the columella) can pull the nose down over time if undesireable scar tissue builds up--and may respond to a anti-inflammatory steroid injection (like a cortisone shot.)

There is a muscle that depresses the nasal tip with smiling, etc, and in certain cases we recommend weakening or removing that muscle to prevent a "plunging tip."

Discuss these options in follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  Congratulations on getting some nice improvement , and I hope you heal to the point of full satisfaction.

Web reference: http://plasticsurgeondc.com

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon