Does a Paranasal Implant Increase Nasal Flare?

Hello, I was interested in getting a paranasal implant and was wondering whether it would increase by nasal flare? And how/ if it changes the appearance of my alae. Thank you

Paranasal implant

+2

You don't indicate what you expect this implant to achieve or why you think you would benefit from it.  I am not familiar with the concept of a "Paranasal"  implant , but I can share with you my feeling about facial implants in general.  Other than an occasional  chin implant, I avoid the use of facial implants.  They have a high incidence of dissatisfaction, revision, or removal, and they rarely accomplish anything worthwhile.   Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced with rhinoplasty to determine what procedure is right for you.

Facial implants

+2

The best way for you to see the effect of an implant on the nasal structures is to have your surgeon inject sterile saline where the implant will lie. That will give you a temporary simulation of the result. Within a few hours you will be back to baseline and then you can decide if the implant is right for you. Whatever we tell you will not replace that experience.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Function of paranasal implant

+1

A paranasal implant is performed only to increase the total projection at the base of the nose.  It will not change the nasal flare.

Paranasal implants

+1

Paranasal implants are not very popular. Especially today with the availability of soft tissue filllers.

Paranal Implants And Their Influence On Nostril Width

+1

Paranasal implants do not usually cause nostril widening. But it depends on what else is being done with it and how wide the subperiosteal dissection is across the face of the maxilla. With small incisions used in isolated paranasal implant placement, the lateral muscular attachments to the nostrils are not excessively disrupted. But when more extensive dissection is done, for example in combined cheek and paranasal implants, a cinch suture must be used to retighten the nostril width or it will end up making them appear wider.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Paranasal Implant and Nasal Flare

+1

Nasal flares are not intended to increase Alar flare but to fill in the depressions alongside the alae giving the nose a more balanced appearance. Such implants were more popular before modern fillers came on the scene. You can get a more customized appearance with a long-acting filler such as Radiesse and you can watch and direct the gradual transformation.

Peter A Aldea, MD