Papaya Renewal Collection: Hype or Not?

Guthy-Renker announced a partnership with dermatologist Susan Evans for a new skin care line called The Papaya Renewal Collection. The key ingredient, papaya, is claimed by Evans to contain enzymes that support natural skin turnover to give a smoother, firmer and suppler appearance. Do you think a papaya-based skin care line is hype, or a great product idea?

Every good story has a grain of truth.

+2

First, recognize that these products are marketed by the folks that brought you Proacitve.  Like these products or not, the people behind them are Marketing geniuses.  Now about the product you have asked about.  I have never used the product and the website does not disclose what is actually in the product.  Papaya, the fruit, does contain the enzyme Papain.  It is a product used to tenderize meat.  It is also used as a tooth whitener.  Here is the bad news.  The FDA has restricted the use of all topical drugs containing papain and in particular unapproved products marketed directly to consumers.  The reason they took this action is that these products cause serious adverse reactions including bad allergies with rashes and low blood pressure.  Those allergic to latex can also be allergic to papaya.  So does the Papaya Renewal Collection actually contain papaya or is it slick marketing to make you think it contains this product?  If it contains papaya then it may violate the FDA ban on papain containing skin products.  If it does not contain papain, why go to so much trouble unless they are out to make you think that it has an active enzyme to improve the skin.  By the way, there is no evidence that subjecting the skin to enzyme does help the skin.  If you do try the product, consider sharing with the Realself community your experience with the product.

Papaya Renewal Collection: Hype or Not

+1

Regarding: " Papaya Renewal Collection: Hype or Not?  Guthy-Renker announced a partnership with dermatologist Susan Evans for a new skin care line called The Papaya Renewal Collection. The key ingredient, papaya, is claimed by Evans to contain enzymes that support natural skin turnover to give a smoother, firmer and suppler appearance. Do you think a papaya-based skin care line is hype, or a great product idea?"

I think it is a great product/marketing IDEA, especially in the scorching heat we are all experiencing, but I suspect it is as effective as the other hundreds of serums / extracts / elixirs we have been exposed to in recent years.

Maybe we should contact Ben and Jerry's for suitable names for the next magical youth in a bottle...

I love papaya

+1

I have no idea if this is hype or not but since I love this fruit, I will hope there is some actual benefit from it :)

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Papaya Renewal Collection: Hype or Not

+1

Hype is my vote. But if you try this system please blog us the results, your costs, your opinions on it. It seems to good to be true from reading the internet sites and blogs. From MIAMI Dr. B