Panniculectomy Am I a Good Candidate for This? (photo)

Hello, i am considering getting bypass surgery. I am 5'6 270lbs. Majority of my weight is in my stomach. I have a large stomach around which at this time hangs pass my vaginal area. I looked it up and my apron is considered grade 3. I have lower back pain, under the apron is always moist unless treated with powder but that only last a few, cracked skin under the fold and inner pain. Sleep apnea. i included the best picture i could get.Thank you in advanced!

Panniculectomy - am I a good candidate for this?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! I hope that these answers help! A panniculectomy is an excellent method for removing the excess skin and soft tissue of the lower abdomen (abdominal panniculus), often caused by weight loss. It is mainly performed to ameliorate symptoms caused by the abdominal apron such as hygiene issues, excoriations, rashes/infections, back pain, etc. A panniculectomy gives almost immediate relief from these issues as well as has been shown to stimulate additional weight loss as your activity level is increased after removal of the panniculus. An abdominoplasty is more of an aesthetic procedure in that as opposed to simply excising this excess tissue in a wedge to relieve complaints, an abdominoplasty focuses more on abdominal contouring, abdominal wall tightening, re-insetting the belly button, as well as often times the addition of liposuction.

I would highly recommend continued diet and exercise prior to any consideration for a panniculectomy or body contouring as getting down to your ideal weight prior to the procedure will certainly give you the best results as well as be the safest for you. Neither one is a weight loss procedure. Also, a continued healthy and active lifestyle will be needed in order to maintain the benefits that the procedure has given to you. You should consult with a plastic surgeon at anytime to go over options and in order to assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right one for you. Depending on your examination, photo documentation, and discussion of your symptoms, insurance coverage may be possible. Discuss our plan with your surgeon as these are two separate, but related procedures - it may be a possibility. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Good candidate for panniculectomy?

+1

I would wait until you have the weight loss before panniculectomy. The surgery can be done now, but you will have to have it redone after you lose more weight.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Panniculctomy candidate?

+1
I generally get this question from patients who have already undergone bypass surgery. If you do this and lose weight, then panniculectomy may be covered by insurance, but the insurers have tightened their criteria and some now require intractable rashes which are unresponsive to prolonged antibiotics.

Robert L. Kraft, MD