Panicking 10 Days Upper Bleph. Right Eye Twice As Small As Left?

Panicking 10 days since upper bleph, right eye much smaller than left, no bruising,swelling minimal, scars ok, spoke to PS face to face says it is fine, I look scary & eyes were better before, especially right eye. I did not have asymetry before please dont give this reason and even if I did, surely the PS would have saw this pre op. Established London based PS did surgery. going to see ocuplastic surgeon in 2 days for opinion as really upset at the moment just want some reassurance.

Panic 10 days post op blepharoplasty

+1

Hard to comment without photos.  That being said, it is very early in your post operative course.  It is good that you spoke with your plastic surgeon.  He/she is the one who was there.  Swelling may take some time to resolve.  Keep talking with your plastic surgeon and his/her office.  They should be able to help you get through this.

Asymetry post bleph

+1

not all blepharoplasties are the same. If there is some ptosis or hanging of the lid, besides extra tissue of the upper lids then the levator muscle is usually shortened and that can result in one upper lid opening more then the other. The lower lid after a lower lid bleph can be pulled down sightly, screral show, and this can make the distance between the lids larger. Those problems can improve with time but often require a revision, Time will tell. Terry Cromwell M.D.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery

+1

Don't panic. Any surgery, especially eye surgery can have asymmetry at this point in time. It will take some time, but when the swelling subsides it may even out.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Assymetry

+1

Don't panic.  10 days after surgery is very early and assymetry is common.  The first three weeks are the hardest emotionally.  Try and be patient.  If there is still significant assymetry at three to four weeks, I would suggest questioning your surgeon.

Steven J. Covici, MD
Springfield Oculoplastic Surgeon

Too early to panic!

+1

At 10 days it is completely normal to have asymmetry between the eyes. Swelling is almost never symmetrical and it will take a few weeks for that to settle. I wouldn't make my final evaluation of a post surgical result for at least 3 months, and sometimes even longer.

Hang in there and be patient with your body.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Don't panick.  10 days is too early.  You are doing the right thing by seeing an Oculoplastic surgeon, he may be able to tell you more about your condition after examining you.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of Eyes 10 Days after Upper Blepharoplasty

+1

Asymmetry may be due to swelling and bruising at 10 days.  It may be due to intramuscular hemorrhage or swelling causing ptosis from local anesthetic injection.  If you went to a respected surgeon, causing damage to the levator mechanism during surgery would be extraordinarily rare.  I would give it time, but a second opinion could not hurt.  I would not be in a rush to have another operation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Eyelid asymmetry after blepharoplasty

+1

Billy:

It is still very early and asymmetries can be seen, sometimes due to swelling and sometimes due to muscles not working properly due to surgical effects.  If you did not have surgery to correct an asymmetry in the height of the eyelids (ptosis surgery or blepharotomy), then any asymmetry you are seeing will likely resolve with time.  It is usually best to wait at least 4-6 weeks after surgery before making any decisions on touch up surgery.  Some even advocate more time.  Your plastic surgeon and oculoplastic surgeon will likely counsel you to wait.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon