Can Ear Pinning Have Long Lasting Results?

Hello! I had othoplasty done about 10 years ago under local anesthesia. The results last as long as the pain.. about six months and then the ears jumped back to where they were before. I am considering a revison, but I am afraid I am gonna pay for 6 month lasting results again. Is it true or just my doctors did not do their jobs right?

Pinning Ear Otoplasty Plastic Surgery should not just last 6 months

+1

There are ways to make your ears shaped through otoplasty and have it last a very long time. It is all in the technique. Just to be fair, your surgeon could have done the best job. It could have been your healing that had an effect. But typically if done right you should have long lasting results. Some of this can be more reliably achieved through effective treatment of the concha bowl prior to the pinning or suturing of the helix. Your doctor can go into more detail regarding that.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The results are long lasting.  Some relaxation is possible, and complete recurrence is hardly ever observed.  An exam or pictures would be necessary to determine what is possible or would be needed.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of facial and ear correction surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Revision otoplasty

+1

It's not typical to have to have a total relapse of your ear pinning. Sometimes some rebound is seen, though. You'd be able to get more specific recommendations from someone who can see your ears to assess them more fully.

In the meantime, you can read about otoplasty at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Complete relapse after an otoplasty

+1

It is almost impossible to answer this question without photos, both before and after.  In general an otoplasty should not need to be repeated. Sometimes minor revision are needed after healing but a complete relapse is not common.