If I Had Palpitations in the Past Should I Have a Tummy Tuck?

If I had palpitations in the past should I have a tummy tuck?

Heart palpitations

+1

If you have a history of heart palpitations, you shoudld definitely get his worked up before considering having surgery.

History of heart palpitations

+1

That is a great question. Heart palpitations can be caused by many different things and before undergoing surgery I would recommend you get clearance from a cardiologist.  It in no way disqualifies you if it has a benign origin.  This will you put you, as well as you surgeon, at ease for undergoing the procedure. I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel, MD 

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

A "wonky" heart: palpitations and cosmetic plastic surgery

+1

Palpitations can be benign or can be potential associated with a fatal dysrythmia. It would be best to be evaluated by a cardiologist who will likely utilize an event recorder to document the presence and nature of your palpitations. Further evaulation may be indicated. Once this is completed, your cardiologist, working with the anesthesiologist, will determine if you are a good candidate for surgery.

Irregular Heartbeats and Cosmetic S

+1

It would be appropriate to have a complete physical by your primary care MD and more specifically a cardiologist if warranted/recommended by your primary care MD.  Ultimately, if you are a candidate for a tummy tuck you will need the risks/benefits of your specific heart issue(s).

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Tummy Tucks

+1

Dear Palpitations,

1. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon. 2. Expect a complete History and physical. Of course that means a meaningful directed physical. No throat exam or pelvic exam :) 3. If your palpitations are a concern you will be asked to have an appropriate preop workup. It's inappropriate for any of us to go beyond that in this setting. It becomes making a medical recommendation without all the info and without an exam. Just be sure you are in qualified hands and eventually at a accredited facility.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Palpitations

+1

Tummy tucks are generally safe procedures when performed by board certified plastic surgeons in accredited hospitals. In my practice, any patient on chronic medications or having any concerns such as yours regarding palpitations would be required to be seen by their medical doctor prior to surgery. Your medical doctor would "clear" you for surgery. This may mean obtaining blood tests, chest x-rays, EKG and other tests as needed. It may also may mean a referral to a specialist such as a cardiologist for additional examinations. All this to ensure a safe and successful surgery.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Palpitations in the Past Should I Have a Tummy Tuck

+1

I would recommend a complete medical clearance from an internist or cardiologist prior to having a full tummy tuck. This is the safest and best way to have that great result without a complication. 

Palpitations may or may not mean something significant

+1

Hi There-

The occasional experience of heart palpitations may or may not mean that there is something wrong that would increase your risk for elective surgery.

The only way to get to the bottom of the mystery and assess your risk for your desired body contour improvement would be to see your family doctor for an evaluation. I would not proceed with surgery until this had been done.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Palpitations and tummy tucks

+1

You should definitely see your family physician before any elective surgery. It may be benign or it may require more work-up or precaution prior to or during surgery.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD