Breast augmentation infection in left breast, its taking forever to heal. Should I be worried?

I got breast implants 4 months ago. Got an infection 27 days after surgery in left breast. Dc removed sallicon implant and i've been trying to heal for 3 months now. I still have tender tissue around the breast and the incision under my breast within the last week started to open and there is a hole . My surgeon and Primary Dc both told me that I need to be calm. Blood work came back good so its not in my blood stream, but why is my incision opening? Is this something to be worried about??

Healing after breast implant infection and removal of implant

+1
If your implants were in long enough to form a breast implant capsule The residual capsule can be interfering with closure of your wound.  I agree that ultrasound is a good suggestion to see what is going on inside the breast.

Incision open 3 months after infection

+1
Usually infections clear up within several weeks after an implant is removed. If you have symptoms of inflammation there might be either fluid or bacteria still left inside the breast.

Ask your doctor about whether an ultrasound might be helpful and whether meeting with an infectious disease doctor would be useful at this point. Good luck. 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Delayed healing after breast augmentation infection.

+1
I think you should be concerned. With breast implant infection usually healing occurs very quickly after removal of the prosthesis.

+1
Sometimes healing after an aggressive infection can take a one time. But maybe you need to see an infectious disease expert doc also??? 

Not to worry

+1
It sounds like all the right things have been done. It sounds like you being followed closely. I would lean on the advice of your doctors. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Incision not healing after breast infection

+1
Dear Rockey,
Thank you for your post.
If you have an opening and drainage from the breast 4 months after surgery, then you likely need another operation to washout the insides and possibly put in a drain until healed.  I would discuss these issues with your physicians.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Non-healing scar after 4 months infected implant removal

+1
If your wound is not healing after 4 months then you may require a more aggressive surgical debridement.  

Infection

+1
A foreign body in the wound is probably the most common reson for slow healing and if your implant is removed it may be reaction to sutures used to close the wound that is delaying healing.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Slow healing breast wound after implant removal

+1
Thanks for the question.  I would assume your treating physicians are doing the right thing for you at this time, and I certainly would not take the advice of an online physician, but in general a slow to heal postoperative infection should have an Infectious Disease Specialist follow you as well.  Ask your Plastic Surgeon about this.

Good luck to you.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

+1
A non healing wound requires aggressive investigation and management. It is good that your blood stream is clear. I would consider culture and sensitivity of the pocket--- where the implant was removed. Once the wound is healed - then re-implantation can be performed but it is essential to know why the opening does not close and a culture and investigation of the pocket will be required.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD