Will This Scarring /bruise Next to Areaola Go Away? (photo)

I recently had an explantation along with anchor breast lift. It has been almost ten weeks (surgery was May 8th 2013) and i still have a nasty mark around my areola and am wondering if it will ever go away. My doctorcar revision underneath but wondering about this. Do you know why i have this and if it will go away? Thank you for any input

Will This Scarring /bruise Next to Areaola Go Away?

+2

Dear Yasirah,

thank you for your question and photos.  This will probably eventually go away on its own without treatment.  However, if you would like it to go away faster, a bleaching cream containing hydroquinone or light therapy such as IPL can help.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+2

This could be the residual of a bruise, or hyperpigmentation related to the surgery. A trial of topical 4% hydroquinone would be my first line of recommended treatment, followed by light therapy if needed.It is quite likely to improve even  without treatment. 

All the best. 

+2

Appears as hemosiderin staining. Try bleaching creams or IPL therapies to try and improve faster. 

Skin discoloration after breast surgery

+2

Yasirah:  What you have looks like post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (aka PIH), which is discoloration after bruising or inflammation from healing.  A simple way to treat this is using IPL or BBL light therapy.  Pigment blockers before and after treatment should also help.  Make sure you use a strong sunblock afterwards because that skin will want do hyperpigment again for about 2 months. It should also help fade your scars.  No need to wait a year for your final result.

Myles Goldflies, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon