Is Normal to Have Loose Neck and Marionette Lines Around Lips After Neck/ Face Lift?

3,weeks post op and I am worry about the results, I have swelling and lumpy areas that I think is normal but I think that the dissection and pulling of the skin was not enough to hold those lines

Facelift results

+2

A facelift can make a huge improvement in your appearance but it's not a fast process. The recovery from a facelift takes 2-3 weeks for the initial swelling to go down, 2-3 months for things to return to normal, and up to a year for small nagging things to go away. At three weeks after surgery you look good. There may be some skin that is not as tight as you though it would be, but its way too early to judge the final results. 

Try to stay patient and give things time to heal. Enjoy the new you, you look great!

Results after face and neck lift.

+1

It appears from you photos that you have a nice, natural appearing result.  It is normal to have "lumpy, bumpy" areas from 3-6 weeks after surgery.  This is when scar tissue is being laid down and remodeled.  Marionette lines and Nasolabial Folds are typically not addressed in a face and neck lift that has a natural looking result.  If surgeons do try and put too much tension on the skin to efface those natural creases, you can get a very un-natural and "wind-swept" look.  Fillers or Fat Grafting works well for the Marionette lines and nasolabial folds, but overall you have a nice result.  Enjoy it!

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Loose neck and facial lines after face lift

+1

Thank you for asking about your face lift result.

1. Compared to before, your face lift result is excellent.
  2. Face-nose and mouth-chin folds are cause by deep facial ligaments.
  3. Dividing them increases risk of nerve damage. Most face lifts avoid this. 
  4. Fillers and skin care help these lines. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Marriott lines after facelift

+1

You are much too early to tell what the results of your facelift will be. But you must remember that wrinkles or cause by folding and damage to the skin. The skin still be damaged before an after a facelift. So treating the skin is the answer for wrinkles. You look great so give yourself time to heal.

Wendell Perry, MD

Folds after faelift

+1

Without examining your tissues it is hard to say. I generally use filler for nasolabial folds and marionette lines at the time of facelifting as adding too much tension to the skin to efface them with surgery results in a tight and stretched appearance that tends to be permanent. Ask your surgeon about the use of filler to further enhance your result. At  this early stage, you are still swollen, so you may wish to wait a bit before pursuing additional treatment.

Patti A. Flint, MD