Tip rhinoplasty/nostril reduction. Is taping the tip beneficial for the long term results? (Photo)

I had tip rhinoplasty 10 days ago. My PS never mentioned taping my nose, but I have read articles that it may help in preventing the tip from drooping. Is beneficial for the long term results? Also, I had my nostrils reduced (open revision), however, one side is still different (and more swollen) than the other. Will they even out or is there a minimally invasive procedure that can be done if during the next 6 months-year they remain asymmetrical?

Tip rhinoplasty/nostril reduction. Is taping the tip beneficial for the long term results?

+1
It is always difficult to assess the final result in the healing process and without the benefit of an exam.

+1
Each surgeon has their own dressing regime. I always tape the tip for at least 1 week to 2 months. As for the  very very minor asymmetry in your nostril opening, I would not recommend additional correction...  

Taping after rhinoplasty

+1
Dear Chloe390,

• I usually recommend taping the nose when we take a big nose and make it very small
  • The other case is when someone has thick skin and we want to eliminate any space between the skin and cartilage below as it heals
  • Your asymmetry is normal 10 days out and it is hard to make any judgements on how it will turn up
  • I would recommend waiting to see how it heals

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD