Is It Possible For My Palate Expander To Split The Palatal Suture?

I am a 20yo male, class iii, that's being treated with a palate expander. I've had it on for about 2 months. I am just beginning to notice that there is a big hole right down the middle of my palate. Does this mean my palatal suture is splitting? I do not have a gap in my front two teeth nor does the hole in the middle of my palate extend all the way down to my front teeth. My question is, is this normal? Is my palate beginning to split or does anyone have any insight. Thank you!

Expansion; Palate or sliding of alveolus

+1

It is possible to split the maxillary suture.  It is easy in kids and harder as you get older but quite possible at age 20.  When the suture doesn't split widening can be do due alveolus (bone that holds teeth) and teeth sliding over underlying bone or can be the teeth tipping out of the bone.

Lake Forest Cosmetic Dentist