I'm Not Sold on Fractionated CO2 Being Better for Acne Scarring, Opinion?

A continuous wave CO2 laser removes the epidermis and deposits a lot of heat into the dermis. The after pictures prove this a great thing. It's said they can go so much deeper with fractionated lasers. What are fractionated lasers capable of that makes them so recommended? So much weight is put into heat deposition/collagen remodeling aspects but it seems like that is just one of many factors that gives the results. So far it seems like the benefits of fractionated lasers are repeat patients.

Fractionated CO2 Laser Resurfacing for Acne Scarring

+3

That is an excellent and sophisticated question. You have done your homework. I suspect that what you are referring to is not "continuous wave" CO2 laser but confluent resurfacing as was done before the current fractionated trend. Those lasers did indeed work better. The problem was prolonged healing time and side effects such as loss of pigment.

If the fractionated laser has a deep component available (such as Deep FX), then indeed it penetrates more deeply than previous generation lasers. However, by definition , fractional lasers only treat a fraction of the skin. The old Coherent 5000C laser had a higher peak energy than current generation lasers.

Nevertheless, good results can be achieved with fractionated lasers if appropriate settings are used. With acne scarring, it is important to have realistic expectations. It is not uncommon to have to treat more than once to achieve best results for scarring.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scarring Treatment

+1

Acne scarring can be effectively treated with a variety of modalities.  The primary consideration is to choose the surgeon with the requisite experience, skill, and understanding of your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

+1

In our practice we recommend the Co2 Fractionated Laser Resurfacing for acne scarring, pitting and tightening.  We are seeing amazing results with this technology.  You can do research on the internet to see before and after photos and see how impressive this is  just for this type of skin correction.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS