How Painful is an Ulthera Treatment for the Forehead Compared to the Undereye Area?

What area of the face or neck does Ulthera tend to be the most painful during recovery?

Ultherapy deserves medicines to make it more comfortable

+1

"You get what you pay for"... without discomfort you won't achieve non-surgical lifting.  Thermage hurts but ultherapy hurts more.  Thermage can help tighten, but the results of Ultherapy are greater. Patient satisfaction is greater, in fact, on this website, patients rate their satisfaction as approximately 89% with Ultherapy and 45% with Thermage. Many physicians who have done both are finding Ulthera to be more effective and it has FDA clearance for lifting! The pain is related to the deep penetration (4.5mm) of the Ultherapy and it tends to be the worst immediately in front of the ear, near the cheekbone and forehead near the area above the middle of the eyebrow.  I have needed to have my anesthesiologist even sedate one patient as she and I know how low a pain threshold she has.  A patient of mine, a dermatologist, said she couldn't believe people complain about the procudure as it didn't hurt her too much.  She obviously has a high pain threshold. Others are managed well with only "Motrin" while most need a prescribed pain killer, an anti-anxiety  oral medication and a non-steroidal antiinflammatory agent, Ketorolac. The pain goes away quickly and there is no downtime with this procedure.

Forehead is frequently the most sensitive area

+1

I have been performing Ulthera treatments for one year and have treated over 100 patients.  While it is generally well-tolerated, I have found the forehead to be the most sensitive area in many patients.  I perform the treatment with nerve blocks and optional pain medicine in all patients, which reduces discomfort greatly.  The undereye area is generally not particularly sensitive with this treatment.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon