Painful Scars After Breast Lift

I had a breast lift two six weeks ago and all of a sudden I am having sharp pains in one breast right on the scar around the nipple along with some strange bruising (my original bruising has been gone for five weeks).The scars are slightly upraised and pinkish I'm worried about keloids or maybe an allergic reaction. My P.S is on vacation so I'm hoping for some advice. They have been itching on and off for the last week and a half also

Painful scars after breastlift.

+2

Thank you for the photos. What I see in your photos are mildly hypertrophic scars around the nipples and normal vertical scars. As scars heal, they often become quite itchy. Massage and lotion can help significantly with the symptoms as well as hasten the fading of the scars and to flatten them as well. Silicone sheeting can help nicely with this as well. As far as pain, some patients will experience a "pulling" type pain as the scars inside the breast contract. This is normal and generally resolves over a few weeks. If the pain is significantly out of proportion, then I recommend following up with your plastic surgeon or the surgeon covering his practice while he is out of town.

I would not characterize the small red dots in the left breast photo as bruising. This looks like simply ruptured capillaries. This should fade in a matter of weeks. From your photos, I would say the likelihood of keloids or an allergic reaction are quite low.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Painful Scars After Breast Lift

+2

Based on your photos it appears that you have hypertrophic scars (not keloid scars) evolving.  Although they are not dangerous per se they are more itchy and unsightly compared to typical scars.  Also it's important to note that hypertrophic scars are typically more a result of patient's genetics as opposed to surgical error.  The "bruising" you see this delayed after surgery may be post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation - hyperpigmentation that follows bruising but typically regresses over a year or two.  Nonetheless, I encourage you to see a local plastic surgeon for a live exam to confirm all this.  Best of luck... 

Ryan Stanton, MD

Painful scars

+2

It is unusual to have bruising and then pain at this point after surgery. Even if your doctor is out of town, I am sure he has coverage in case of an emergency.

Painful scars after breast lift surgery

+2

If you are experiencing new symptoms such as bruising and pain that you did not have a few weeks ago, I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon immediately.  Even though your surgeon is out of town, you must see someone to determine that you are not having a hematoma or infection.  The scars will naturally be red at this point but the pain and bruising do not sound normal for this time frame. Based on your photos, it appears to be healing fairly well, but this is difficult to say without examining you.

You can even be seen in an emergency room if need be.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Painful scars after a breast lift

+1

Your photos indicate that the scars around your areolae are becoming hypertrophic.  Hypertrophic scars, which are genetically determined,  are red, raised, rope-like, and often are itching and hypersensitive. You should contact your surgeon to see what treatment they would recommend.  I have my patients wear silicone gel tape for 4-5 months after a lift to try to improve the scarring and lower the risk of hypertrophic scarring.  If someone still is tending towards this type of scarring despite the gel taping, I consider some judicious and conservative injections of triamcinolone (Kenalog).

Robert M. Grenley, MD