I Have a Painful Lump on Outer Thigh. I Saw a Doctor Yesterday He Said It is Spead out and Odd Shape?

he belives it to be a Lipoma and wants to remove it next week. My concern is he is not doing ultra sound or MRI, he just wants to cut it out. Should I get second opinion, or just go with what he says?

Lipoma

+2

Before doing any surgery, If there is any question in your mind, get a second opinion.

Lipoma removal

+1

Sometimes it is helpful to get MRI if there is a concern about location or proximity of important blood vessels or organs.  However, especially in simple lipomas under the skin, additional testing is not needed.

East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma removal

+1

Typically a lipoma is pretty easy to diagnose when you see it and palpate it. Ultrasound or MRI are not necessary in diagnosing a lipoma. I remove lipomas in my office with some frequency and I diagnose them from experience without diagnostic equipment. All lipomas are sent in to the lab for pathology. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://michaelelammd.com

Lipoma - Second Opinion

+1

It's never wrong to get a second opinion but, that being said, a lipoma often has a very typical appearance, and if your doctor is comfortable enough with that decision then it may be reasonable to go ahead and have it removed.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.