I Have a Painful Lump on Outer Thigh. I Saw a Doctor Yesterday He Said It is Spead out and Odd Shape?

he belives it to be a Lipoma and wants to remove it next week. My concern is he is not doing ultra sound or MRI, he just wants to cut it out. Should I get second opinion, or just go with what he says?

Lipoma

+2

Before doing any surgery, If there is any question in your mind, get a second opinion.

Lipoma removal

+1

Sometimes it is helpful to get MRI if there is a concern about location or proximity of important blood vessels or organs.  However, especially in simple lipomas under the skin, additional testing is not needed.

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Lipoma removal

+1

Typically a lipoma is pretty easy to diagnose when you see it and palpate it. Ultrasound or MRI are not necessary in diagnosing a lipoma. I remove lipomas in my office with some frequency and I diagnose them from experience without diagnostic equipment. All lipomas are sent in to the lab for pathology. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Lipoma - Second Opinion

+1

It's never wrong to get a second opinion but, that being said, a lipoma often has a very typical appearance, and if your doctor is comfortable enough with that decision then it may be reasonable to go ahead and have it removed.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS