Should I Be Worried About Recurring Painful Lipomas?

I am 35 years old. I have had this Lipoma in my right armpit for over 10 years. Sometimes it gets bigger and is very painful but other times I can hardly notice it. I have never had a biopsy. I have gone to different doctors and they all say the same that it's nothing to worry about. Lately it's become painful again. Do you think I should worry?

Recurring painful lipomas

+1

No, I don't think you should worry since you have seen qualified doctors in the past.  Nevertheless, I would recommend excision with submission to pathology, just to be certain.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lipoma Excision?

+1

Based on your description,  I would recommend excision.

Generally, I  recommend excision to allow for pathologic evaluation (which is the only  way to make a definitive diagnosis) and to  alleviate compressive symptoms it may be causing (as well as for cosmetic purposes).

Recurrent lipomas in armpits

+1

When treating such conditions, surgeons must be familiar with all the structures in the armpits. The most important determination is to make sure that these recurring lumps are benign and lipomas and not something more significant such as lymph nodes. Be sure to visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can thoroughly examine this area and determine if these are indeed superficial lipomas or if you require a biopsy and further workup that may be necessary if your lymph nodes are involved

Pat Pazmino, MD

Painful Lipoma in the armpit

+1

The most important question is if you had an MRI that confirms that this mass is a lipoma. If not, then get an MRI to confirm. Once it has been confirmed, then you should seriously think about getting it removed as it continues to be symptomatic (causing you discomfort).

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon