Pain when Breathing Normal After Breast Augmenation?

I am 3 weeks post op from having a full TT, breast aug, and masto. 1 drain removed a week post op, the other 2 1/2 weeks. It had become red and painful. 2 days later tube site smelled & found white puss and raised bright red. My temp was 100 for 2 days then 101.5 so called Dr. He scribed 2 forms of antibiotics. Temp down now but severe pain (on scale-8)under right breast-extending to shoulder & neck when breathing-slight short breath. Coughed bit pink, but feel good. (pleurisy?) Thank you!!

Pain when breathing after tummy tuck and breast augmentation; infection around drain tube.

+2

I assume the drainage tubes were for the abdominoplasty and not the breasts. Infection in the drain tract from the tube that remained in place for 2 1/2 weeks is now being treated by antibiotics, and despite fever being reduced, you have severe pain of the right ribcage with what sounds like referred pain to your shoulder and neck.

Pink sputum and coughing may be more than pleurisy, and your overall picture in the setting of two major operations (one involving implants susceptible to contamination and infection requiring removal or causing capsular contracture) make me concerned enough to recommend that you see your surgeon immediately. Especially with infection that may or may not be adequately treated by empiric antibiotic coverage. If there is any pus still present, culture and sensitivities should be considered.

Do not wait until your next scheduled appointment; call your surgeon's office now and ask to be seen right away. There are too many potential areas of concern that need to be examined and addressed promptly. Do not delay, even if things seem to be OK for the moment. Best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Pain after a breast augmentation

+1

It sounds as though you should really see your plastic surgeon.  If you do have an infection, your breast implants may need to be removed.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Pain after breast augmentation

+1

WIthout seeing you and examining you, it is difficult to evaluate what may be wrong withyou. The best thing to do is be evaluated by your doctor to make sure everything is ok.

Not so smooth recovery after tummy tuck and breast lift

+1

Fever after tummy tuck and pain in shoulder and chest can spell serious problems. If you are short of breath, or perhaps a faster heart rate, this may be another sign of problems such as pulmonary embolism. You need to seen immediatley for a complete examination.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD